Calculate Voltage on Capacitor Over Time with RC Time Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltage on a capacitor in a circuit with the formula X(t)=X(0)+[X(0)-X(∞)]-t/τ, where τ=RThC and considering the capacitor as the load. It also mentions a rule of thumb for capacitors and high frequencies and DC. The latter part of the conversation presents a question about finding the frequency and voltage at t=0 and solving for the complex expression and rms value of current in a circuit with an ideal a.c. source and impedance consisting of a resistance and inductance. The solution is provided as well.
DIrtyPio
Hi, I have a simple question: if I have a circuit with a capacitor, how do I calculate the voltage on the capacitor in function of time, I mean I know that tau(τ)=RC and there is the general formula X(t)=X(0)+[X(0)-X(∞)]-t/τ. So here comes my question should I consider the capacitor as the load and calculate the Thevenin equivalent voltage at t=0 and t=∞ and use the X(t)=X(0)+[X(0)-X(∞)]-t/τ forumla ,where τ=RThC.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it that way. A simple "rule of thumb" is that a capacitor is a short for high frequencies (t=0) and an open for DC (t=infinity).

Ok, I have some circuits and I don't know if I resolved the problems right so here are they:
and I have another question: files
1. The voltage of an ideal a.c. source has the expression:
ug = 100 *20.5sin (2*104 ∏*t +∏/3) V.
1.1. Find the value of the frequency and the value of the voltage at the moment t=0
1.2. Find the complex expression and the rms value of the current if the source supplies the impedance consisting in the resistance of 80 Ω connected in series with the inductance of 3/∏ mH (0.955 mH).

I don't really know what does it mean at the question 1.1. The frequency at the moment t=0. The voltage is 100 *20.5sin (∏/3).
The second question(1.2) I've solved like this:
URMS=100V ; R=80Ω ; L=3mH => XL=j*2*104∏*3/∏*10-3=j*60Ω.
IRMS=URMS/|Z|, where |Z|=(802+602)1/2=100Ω => IRMS=100/100=1A.
And the complex expression of the current is Ucomplex/Rcomplex=100j∏/3/j60=100(cos∏/3+jsin∏/3)/j60=100(1/2+j31/2/2)/j60=50+j50*(31/2)/j60.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• 20052009092.jpg
    20052009092.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 20052009094.jpg
    20052009094.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Related to Calculate Voltage on Capacitor Over Time with RC Time Constant

1. How do I calculate the voltage on a capacitor over time using RC time constant?

To calculate the voltage on a capacitor over time, you will need to use the formula V(t) = V(0)e^(-t/RC). V(t) represents the voltage at a specific time, V(0) represents the initial voltage, t represents the time, R represents the resistance, and C represents the capacitance. This formula is known as the RC time constant formula.

2. What is the significance of RC time constant in calculating voltage on a capacitor over time?

The RC time constant is a measure of how quickly the voltage on a capacitor changes over time. It is the product of resistance and capacitance, and it represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is an important factor in calculating the voltage on a capacitor over time as it determines the rate at which the voltage changes.

3. How does the resistance affect the voltage on a capacitor over time?

The resistance in the RC time constant formula has an inverse relationship with the voltage on a capacitor over time. This means that as the resistance increases, the voltage on the capacitor decreases at a slower rate. On the other hand, as the resistance decreases, the voltage on the capacitor decreases at a faster rate. This is because higher resistance slows down the flow of current, resulting in a slower change in voltage.

4. How does the capacitance affect the voltage on a capacitor over time?

The capacitance in the RC time constant formula has a direct relationship with the voltage on a capacitor over time. This means that as the capacitance increases, the voltage on the capacitor decreases at a faster rate. Conversely, as the capacitance decreases, the voltage on the capacitor decreases at a slower rate. This is because higher capacitance allows for more charge to be stored, resulting in a faster change in voltage.

5. What is the practical application of calculating voltage on a capacitor over time with RC time constant?

The calculation of voltage on a capacitor over time with RC time constant is essential in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and engineering. It helps in designing and analyzing circuits with capacitors, predicting the behavior of capacitive components, and determining the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge. This information is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning of electronic devices and systems.