Calculate ##\vec{E}## of a single charge at a certain distance from it

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary: Thank you.In summary, the electric field vector at the point (1.25m, 0.75m) due to a single charge of 23μC at the origin is calculated using the formula ##\vec{E}=K\dfrac{q}{r^2}##. After some calculations, the resulting electric field vector is ##\vec{E}=1,55\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{i}+0,928\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{j}##. This may seem like a large number due to the small value of ##\epsilon_0##, but it can be easily calculated using a calculator or spreadsheet.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A single charge of ##23\;\mu{C}## is at the origin of a ##x-y## coordinate system. Calculate the electric field vector at the point ##r=(1,25\;m,0,75\;m)##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{E}=K\dfrac{q}{r^2}##
Really don't know if this is wright. Here it goes. Thanks in advance:
##\vec{E}=K\cdot{q}\cdot{\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{r_1^4}+\dfrac{1}{r_2^4}}}\cdot{\left(\dfrac{r_1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2}}\hat{i}+\dfrac{r_2}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2}}\hat{j}\right)}##
##8,98\cdot{10^{9}}\;Nm^2/C^2\cdot{23,6\cdot{10^{-6}}\;C}\cdot{\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2,44\;m^4}+\frac{1}{3,16\;m^4}}\right)}\left(\dfrac{1,25\;m}{1,46\;m}\hat{i}+\dfrac{0,75\;m}{1,46\;m}\hat{j}\right)##
##8,98\cdot{10^{9}}\;Nm^2/C^2\cdot{23,6\cdot{10^{-6}}\;C}\cdot{0,852\;m^{-2}}\left(0,856\hat{i}+0,514\hat{j}\right)##
##\therefore \vec{E}=1,55\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{i}+0,928\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{j}##
My doubt: how is it such a large number?
Greetings!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am unable to sort out your latex. You seem to be missing some curly braces and a \right).

Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
Homework Statement:: A single charge of ##23\;\mu{C}## is at the origin of a ##x-y## coordinate system. Calculate the electric field vector at the point ##r=(1,25\;m,0,75\;m)##
Relevant Equations:: ##\vec{E}=K\dfrac{q}{r^2}##

Really don't know if this is wright. Here it goes. Thanks in advance:
##\vec{E}=K\cdot{q}\cdot{\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{r_1^4}+\dfrac{1}{r_2^4}}}\cdot{\left(\dfrac{r_1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2}}\hat{i}+\dfrac{r_2}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2}}\hat{j}\right)}##
##8,98\cdot{10^{9}}\;Nm^2/C^2\cdot{23,6\cdot{10^{-6}}\;C}\cdot{\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2,44\;m^4}+\frac{1}{3,16\;m^4}}\right)}\left(\dfrac{1,25\;m}{1,46\;m}\hat{i}+\dfrac{0,75\;m}{1,46\;m}\hat{j}\right)##
##8,98\cdot{10^{9}}\;Nm^2/C^2\cdot{23,6\cdot{10^{-6}}\;C}\cdot{0,852\;m^{-2}}\left(0,856\hat{i}+0,514\hat{j}\right)##
##\therefore \vec{E}=1,55\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{i}+0,928\cdot{10^5}\;N/C\hat{j}##
My doubt: how is it such a large number?
Greetings!
I am quoting whith my phone. The pc did work

mcastillo356 said:
I am quoting whith my phone. The pc did work
The numbers must be that order of magnitude as ##\epsilon_0## is very small. That said, don't you just put these numbers into a calculator and see what comes out? What do you gain by writing it all out like that?

I would calculate ##r##, then use
$$\vec E = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^3}\vec r$$
PS I get a different answer from you. You may have gone wrong inverting the value for ##\epsilon_0## by the look of your working.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mcastillo356
I thought I had to warn that I had solved my problems with LaTeX. I will not do it again. It's obvious I've not thought twice.

mcastillo356 said:
I thought I had to warn that I had solved my problems with LaTeX. I will not do it again. It's obvious I've not thought twice.

What I meant was that once you have a formula and all the numbers, that's just one calculation on a calculator or spreadsheet. It's difficult to check all those intermediate numbers because I just put the numbers in a spreadsheet. Three calculations: one for ##r##, one for ##E_x## and one for ##E_y##:
$$\vec E = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^3}(x, y) = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^3}(x \vec i + y \vec j)$$

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Ahh...Yes, I've misunderstood. I must have missed some calculation

Related to Calculate ##\vec{E}## of a single charge at a certain distance from it

1. How do I calculate the electric field of a single charge at a certain distance from it?

To calculate the electric field of a single charge at a certain distance from it, you can use the formula E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where you want to calculate the electric field.

2. What units is the electric field measured in?

The electric field is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. How does the electric field change as the distance from the charge increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the charge increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, as shown in the formula E = kq/r^2.

4. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. A negative electric field indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electric force on a positive test charge.

5. Can the electric field of a single charge be zero?

Yes, the electric field of a single charge can be zero. This would occur at a point where the distance from the charge is infinity, or when the charge itself is zero.