Calculate Time to Fill Bathtub with Volume Flow Rate

In summary, to calculate the time to fill up a bathtub with a volume of x m^3 and a water flow rate of y m/s, you need to know the volume of water coming in per second. The velocity and pressure are not necessary to know. The radius of the pipe can be used to calculate the area of the outlet, and multiplying it with the water flow rate gives the volume of water coming out. If the bathtub fills up at x cubic meters, then it takes x/Av seconds to fill it. However, if the water is hot or cold, the room temperature difference must be considered, making it a differential equation with an exponential coefficient in the solution.
Angello90
Ok another stupid/smart question,

I got a bath with x m^3 volume. And a water flow rate of a tap is y m/s. I also know pressure and velocity. How can I calculate time to fill up bathtub? I know it's simple but I can not figure it out!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the volume of water coming in per second, then it is easy. If you know the velocity you don't need to know the pressure. However that is not enough, you can have any volume of water at the same velocity/pressure.

Ok, so let's say the radius of pipe is r. This would give the area of outlet. Multiplying Q by A would give me (m/s) by (m^2), thus giving me volume of water coming out.

Does it make any sense?

Exactly, so you have m^3/s. If the bathtub fills up at x cubic meters then it takes x/Av seconds.

Now if it is hot or cold water then you have to account for the room temperature difference and it becomes a differential equation with an exponential coefficient in the solution.

Last edited:

To calculate the time it takes to fill a bathtub, you will need to use the formula: Time = Volume / Flow Rate. In this case, the volume is given as x m^3 and the flow rate is given as y m/s. Therefore, the equation becomes: Time = x m^3 / y m/s.

To solve this equation, you will need to convert the units so that they are consistent. For example, if the volume is given in cubic meters (m^3), you will need to convert the flow rate to cubic meters per second (m^3/s). Once the units are consistent, you can simply divide the volume by the flow rate to get the time it takes to fill the bathtub.

Additionally, you may also need to consider the initial water level in the bathtub and the rate at which the water level rises. This can be calculated by dividing the flow rate by the area of the bathtub's opening. This will give you the depth of water that is added per second. Then, you can use this depth and the initial water level to calculate the time it takes to fill the bathtub completely.

I hope this helps and don't worry, there are no stupid questions when it comes to learning and understanding scientific concepts. Keep exploring and asking questions!

Related to Calculate Time to Fill Bathtub with Volume Flow Rate

1. How do I calculate the time it takes to fill a bathtub with a given volume flow rate?

The time it takes to fill a bathtub with a given volume flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of water in the bathtub by the volume flow rate. This will give you the time in seconds it takes to fill the bathtub.

2. What is volume flow rate and how is it measured?

Volume flow rate is the amount of fluid that passes through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

3. How do I measure the volume of water in my bathtub?

The volume of water in a bathtub can be measured by using a measuring container, such as a large measuring cup or a bucket, and filling it with water from the bathtub. Then, simply pour the water from the container into a larger measuring device, such as a graduated cylinder, to determine the volume.

4. What factors can affect the time it takes to fill a bathtub with a volume flow rate?

The time it takes to fill a bathtub with a volume flow rate can be affected by several factors, including the size of the bathtub, the volume flow rate, and any obstacles or restrictions in the water flow, such as a clogged drain or a partially closed faucet.

5. Can the time it takes to fill a bathtub be calculated for any type of volume flow rate?

Yes, the time it takes to fill a bathtub can be calculated for any type of volume flow rate, as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the volume flow rate is given in gallons per minute, the volume of water in the bathtub should also be measured in gallons.