Calculate the volumetric flow of a fluid

In summary, there are two equations that can be used to calculate the volumetric flow of a fluid due to the weight of a piston in a cylinder: the Hagen-Poiseuille equation and the equations for continuity and momentum for both ducts and circular pipes. These equations take into account factors such as fluid density, pressure, and viscosity.
CFXMSC
How could I calculate the volumetric flow of a fluid due to the weight of a piston in a cylinder?

At first moment i I thought the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For Duct

Continuity:

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}=0[/itex]

Momentum:

[itex]\rho g_y-\frac{\partial p}{\partial y}+\mu\left(\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial y^2}\right)=0[/itex]

For Circular Pipe:

Continuity:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(v_z)=0[/itex]

Momentum:

[itex]g-\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial p}{\partial z}+\nu\left[\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial r}\right) \right][/itex]=0

Last edited:

Related to Calculate the volumetric flow of a fluid

1. What is the definition of volumetric flow?

Volumetric flow is the measure of the volume of a fluid that passes through a certain point in a specific amount of time.

2. How is volumetric flow calculated?

Volumetric flow is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the flow by the velocity of the fluid.

3. What is the unit of measurement for volumetric flow?

The unit of measurement for volumetric flow is typically cubic meters per second (m3/s) or cubic feet per second (ft3/s).

4. What are the factors that affect volumetric flow?

The factors that affect volumetric flow include the size and shape of the conduit, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid.

5. Can volumetric flow be calculated for non-constant flow rates?

Yes, volumetric flow can still be calculated for non-constant flow rates by determining the average velocity over a certain period of time and using that value in the calculation.