Calculate the speed of the rock as it enters Earth's atmosphere

In summary, the rock would have a final velocity of 2374 meters per second, and the energy it would have would be equal to its kinetic energy plus the magnitude of the gravitational energy due to the moon.
Thundagere

Homework Statement

In Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, the colonial inhabitants of the moon threaten to launch rocks down onto Earth if they are not given independence (or at least representation). Assuming that a gun could launch a rock of mass m at twice the lunar escape speed, calculate the speed of the rock as it enters Earth's atmosphere

Homework Equations

KE = 0.5mv^2
PE = -G M1 M2 / R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the lunar escape speed to be 2374 meters per second. Beyond this, I can't get any farther. I've tried using the lunar escape speed and initial velocity—4749 m/s—to use conservation of gravitational potential energy, but I'm not getting the correct answer, which is 11.9 km/s. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
what is conserved? Is the gravitational potential energy conserved?

By the way did you take the Earth's gravitational potential into account?

Yes. What I tried to do was say that energy is conserved (it's asking for an approximate solution) and find that, if the exit velocity is twice the escape speed, then the final velocity should be the escape speed. Using that, and the distance from the moon to the earth, I tried to use the formula G m M /r. However,I'm not getting the correct answer.
I initially thought my distances were off, but I've tried changing them, and still not working.

I don't see what you mean by final velocity. If it's the velocity at infinite distance, the velocity is squared in the kinetic energy. If you double the escape velocity you would get sqrt(3) this velocity.
How do you use it?

Perhaps a better question: what is the total energy at the launch?

At the launch, it would be the kinetic energy 0.5 (Escape velocity*2)^2 * mass of the satellite, plus the gravitational potential energy due to the earth, minus the magnitude of the gravitational energy due to the moon.

Ah ok, if you pick up a stone you do work and the stone gains energy. If the stone is farther from a massive
body, its gravitational energy is higher. Minus the magnitude of the gravitational energy = gravitational energy.
If r increases (-GmM/r) increases too(its absolute value deacreses but it's a negative number, as r increases
it goes to 0=max gravitational energy)(The energy can be negative). Then you add up all the energies.

Thundagere said:
At the launch, it would be the kinetic energy 0.5 (Escape velocity*2)^2 * mass of the satellite, plus the gravitational potential energy due to the earth, minus the magnitude of the gravitational energy due to the moon.

It's "plus the magnitude of the gravitational energy due to the moon" not minus, but both the energy due to the Earth and the energy due to the moon are negative... hope this helped.

Related to Calculate the speed of the rock as it enters Earth's atmosphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere?

The formula for calculating the speed of an object is speed = distance/time. In this case, the distance is the height of the rock from Earth's surface and the time is the time it takes for the rock to reach the surface.

2. What is the average speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere?

The average speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere varies depending on its initial velocity and the angle at which it enters the atmosphere. However, the average speed is estimated to be around 11 km/s.

3. How is the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere measured?

The speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere can be measured using radar or other specialized instruments. These devices measure the time it takes for the rock to travel a certain distance and use that information to calculate its speed.

4. Can the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere be predicted?

Yes, the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations. Factors such as the rock's mass, shape, and initial velocity are taken into account to make these predictions.

5. Why is it important to calculate the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere?

Calculating the speed of a rock entering Earth's atmosphere is important for tracking and predicting potential impacts. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of objects entering Earth's atmosphere and the potential effects they may have on our planet.