Calculate the position of the image

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the position of an image formed by a converging lens with a focal length of 30 cm in water, placed 20 cm above a light source at the bottom of a pool. The formula used is 1/f = 1/p + 1/q, but the result of -60 cm does not seem correct. The conversation also considers the effect of different indices of refraction on the image and its position, with the suggestion to study the Lens Maker's formula for more details.
Pseudo Statistic
A question:
"Suppose that a converging lens with focal length 30 cm in water is placed 20cm above a light source at the bottom of the pool. An image of the light source is formed by the lens.
a) Calculate the position of the image with respect to the bottom of the pool."
For a I did 1/f = 1/p + 1/q But got -60cm:
1/30 = 1/20 + 1/q
That doesn't sound right to me.. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

"b) If instead of water the pool were filled with a material with a different index of refraction, describe the effect, if any, on the image and its position in each of the following cases.
i) The index of refraction of the material is equal to that of the lens."
I'm going to guess there is no image?

"ii) The index of refraction of the material is greater than that of water but less than that of the lens."
No clue..

Can anyone clarify? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudo Statistic said:
A question:
"Suppose that a converging lens with focal length 30 cm in water is placed 20cm above a light source at the bottom of the pool. An image of the light source is formed by the lens.
a) Calculate the position of the image with respect to the bottom of the pool."
For a I did 1/f = 1/p + 1/q But got -60cm:
1/30 = 1/20 + 1/q
That doesn't sound right to me.. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
What doesn't sound right? (What's the position of the image with respect to the pool bottom?)

The focal length of a lens depends on the difference between the index of refraction of the lens and the index of refraction of the medium the lens is submerged in. (This should make intuitive sense, since without a difference in index of refraction, there would be no refraction and no lens.) For details, study the Lens Maker's formula. (Look here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/geoopt/lenmak.html#c1)

I can provide a response to the question and clarify any confusion.

Firstly, to calculate the position of the image in this scenario, we can use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/p + 1/q, where f is the focal length of the lens, p is the distance from the object to the lens, and q is the distance from the lens to the image.

In this case, the focal length of the lens is given as 30 cm and the distance from the object (light source) to the lens is 20 cm. Plugging these values into the equation, we get: 1/30 = 1/20 + 1/q. Solving for q, we get a value of -60 cm.

However, a negative value for q indicates that the image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object, which is not possible in this scenario. This suggests that there may be an error in the calculations or interpretation of the problem.

Moving on to part b) of the question, let's consider the effects of different indices of refraction on the image and its position in the pool.

i) If the index of refraction of the material is equal to that of the lens, there will still be an image formed by the lens. However, the position of the image may change depending on the thickness of the material and its distance from the lens.

ii) If the index of refraction of the material is greater than that of water but less than that of the lens, there will still be an image formed by the lens. However, the image may appear distorted due to the difference in refractive indices of the materials. The position of the image may also change depending on the thickness of the material and its distance from the lens.

In both cases, it is important to consider the effects of refraction and the properties of the material on the position and characteristics of the image formed by the lens. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you understand the problem better.

Related to Calculate the position of the image

1. How do I calculate the position of an image?

To calculate the position of an image, you will need to know the distance between the object and the lens or mirror, as well as the focal length of the lens or mirror. Then, you can use the thin lens equation or the mirror equation to determine the position of the image.

2. What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical equation that relates the distance of an object from a lens, the distance of the image from the lens, and the focal length of the lens. It is represented as 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the distance of the object, i is the distance of the image, and f is the focal length of the lens.

3. Can the position of an image be negative?

Yes, the position of an image can be negative. This occurs when the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens or mirror from the object. It is represented as a negative value in the thin lens equation or the mirror equation.

4. How does the position of the image change with different lens or mirror configurations?

The position of the image can change depending on the configuration of the lens or mirror. For example, a convex lens will produce an upright, virtual image when the object is placed within the focal length. However, if the object is placed beyond the focal length, the image will be inverted and real. Different configurations will result in different positions of the image.

5. Are there any variables that can affect the accuracy of the calculated position of the image?

Yes, there are several variables that can affect the accuracy of the calculated position of the image. These include the precision of the measurements used in the equations, the quality of the lens or mirror, and any external factors that may alter the light rays passing through the lens or mirror. It is important to take these variables into account when calculating the position of an image.