Calculate the natural circular frequency ωn of the system

In summary, the natural circular frequency ωn of the system shown in the figure can be calculated using the equation ωn = (k/m)1/2, where k is the spring constant and m is the equivalent mass of the system. The total mass of the system is 3m and the mass and friction of the pulleys are negligible. The equation for ωn can be derived by drawing free body diagrams for each mass and relating the accelerations, or by considering the effect of angle θ on the frequency of oscillations.
Alex Katko

Homework Statement

Calculate the natural circular frequency ωn of the system shown in the figure. The mass and friction of the pulleys are negligible. The diagram is attached.

Homework Equations

ωn = (k/m)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see the total mass of the system is 3m. So in the equation instead of m, the equivalent mass of the system is 3m. The equivalent k is giving me some difficulties. I know that is has to do with x (the spring deflection) and how it relates to the system.

My thought was that if the spring moves x meters down the slope, then the larger mass (2m) will move only 1/2*x meters down. Thus, my solution was ωn = [(k/2)/(3m)]1/2 or ωn = (k/6m)1/2

The correct answer is ωn = 1/3*(k/m)1/2

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 808
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Katko said:
So in the equation instead of m, the equivalent mass of the system is 3m.
Are you sure? Do they move with equal accelerations?
Alex Katko said:
if the spring moves x meters down the slope, then the larger mass (2m) will move only 1/2*x meters down.
Check that.
Alex Katko said:
The correct answer is ωn = 1/3*(k/m)1/2
I don't think that is right either.

Your thought is correct, but your conclusion does not follow. Instead of divining the answer, do it formally. Draw FBDs for each mass and construct an equation of the form ##ma = (some factor)kx+(some~constant)##, where ##a## is the acceleration of the mass on the incline and ##x## is the displacement of the spring from equilibrium. Then the frequency is given by ##\omega^2=\frac{(some~factor)k}{m}##.

On edit: As @haruspex commented, if the hanging mass moves by half the distance as the mass on the incline in the same time, then the two accelerations cannot be the same.

kuruman said:
Your thought is correct, but your conclusion does not follow. Instead of divining the answer, do it formally. Draw FBDs for each mass and construct an equation of the form ##ma = (some factor)kx+(some~constant)##, where ##a## is the acceleration of the mass on the incline and ##x## is the displacement of the spring from equilibrium. Then the frequency is given by ##\omega^2=\frac{(some~factor)k}{m}##.

On edit: As @haruspex commented, if the hanging mass moves by half the distance as the mass on the incline in the same time, then the two accelerations cannot be the same.
Do you agree the given answer is also wrong?

haruspex said:
o you agree the given answer is also wrong?
Yes, the "correct" answer as posted by OP is not what I got, but I can see how a typo may have been introduced ...

kuruman said:
Yes, the "correct" answer as posted by OP is not what I got, but I can see how a typo may have been introduced ...

There was no typo, the answer is 1/3*(k/m)1/2

Alex Katko said:
There was no typo, the answer is 1/3*(k/m)1/2
If you posted the "correct" answer exactly as was given to you, then a possible typo occurred when that answer was written down. To figure out the frequency of oscillations you can (a) draw a free body diagram for each mass, relate the accelerations according to your thought and write an equation for the acceleration of the mass on the incline. Compare that with the acceleration of a horizontal spring-mass system and extract the frequency of oscillations; (b) figure out how angle ##\theta## affects the frequency of oscillations, set ##\theta = 90^o## and compare the frequency that you get with the frequency of a vertical spring-mass system.

Alex Katko said:
My thought was that if the spring moves x meters down the slope, then the larger mass (2m) will move only 1/2*x meters down.
You may want to revisit that thought.

upload_2018-12-6_10-56-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-6_10-56-48.png
    upload_2018-12-6_10-56-48.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 803
haruspex said:
Are you sure? Do they move with equal accelerations?

Check that.

I don't think that is right either.
I'm pretty bad at understanding pully not sure why. The accelerations should not be equal. I would say the acceleration of the 2m mass is twice the acceleration of the 1m mass

kuruman said:
If you posted the "correct" answer exactly as was given to you, then a possible typo occurred when that answer was written down. To figure out the frequency of oscillations you can (a) draw a free body diagram for each mass, relate the accelerations according to your thought and write an equation for the acceleration of the mass on the incline. Compare that with the acceleration of a horizontal spring-mass system and extract the frequency of oscillations; (b) figure out how angle ##\theta## affects the frequency of oscillations, set ##\theta = 90^o## and compare the frequency that you get with the frequency of a vertical spring-mass system.

Okay here is what I have now. Since the spring starts off stretched a bit, I should do a static force balance first, and find the tension in the string and the static displacement of the spring. Doing this I end up with two equations.
1. From the 2m mass, T - 2mg = 0
2. From the 1m mass, kx - 2T - mgsin(θ) = 0 where the direction is along the slope of the ramp.

I should then do the dynamic case, where the new tension is T', which changes over time. Once again i get two equations.
3. T' - 2mg = 4ma
4. kx' - 2T'-mgsin(θ) = ma

The first equation has 4ma the mass is 2m and the acceleration should be twice that of the smaller mass, so multiply by a factor of 2.

Assuming this is correct (which isn't too likely) my next confusion is what is x'? I think x' should be x (solved from the first 2 equations) minus some other distance based on how far the masses move.

Alex Katko said:
Okay here is what I have now. Since the spring starts off stretched a bit, I should do a static force balance first, and find the tension in the string and the static displacement of the spring. Doing this I end up with two equations.
1. From the 2m mass, T - 2mg = 0
2. From the 1m mass, kx - 2T - mgsin(θ) = 0 where the direction is along the slope of the ramp.

I should then do the dynamic case, where the new tension is T', which changes over time. Once again i get two equations.
3. T' - 2mg = 4ma
4. kx' - 2T'-mgsin(θ) = ma

The first equation has 4ma the mass is 2m and the acceleration should be twice that of the smaller mass, so multiply by a factor of 2.

Assuming this is correct (which isn't too likely) my next confusion is what is x'? I think x' should be x (solved from the first 2 equations) minus some other distance based on how far the masses move.
Yes, it will help to express everything in terms of the independent variable (y, say) = x'-x.
Your equations look good.

Related to Calculate the natural circular frequency ωn of the system

1. What is the definition of natural circular frequency?

The natural circular frequency, ωn, is a measure of how quickly a system oscillates or vibrates in a circular motion without any external forces or damping present. It is a characteristic property of a system and is related to its mass, stiffness, and geometry.

2. How do you calculate the natural circular frequency of a system?

The natural circular frequency, ωn, can be calculated using the equation ωn = √(k/m), where k is the stiffness of the system and m is its mass. This equation can also be written as ωn = 2πf, where f is the natural frequency of the system in Hertz.

3. What are the units of natural circular frequency?

The units of natural circular frequency, ωn, are radians per second (rad/s). This unit is often used in engineering and physics to describe the angular velocity or rotational speed of a system.

4. What factors affect the natural circular frequency of a system?

The natural circular frequency, ωn, is primarily influenced by the stiffness and mass of the system. Higher stiffness and lower mass will result in a higher natural frequency. Other factors that can affect ωn include the geometry and material properties of the system, as well as any external forces or damping present.

5. Why is it important to calculate the natural circular frequency of a system?

Calculating the natural circular frequency, ωn, is important for understanding the behavior and stability of a system. It can also help in the design and analysis of mechanical and electrical systems, as well as in the study of oscillations and vibrations in various fields of science and engineering.