Calculate the molar Entropy of H2O

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the molar entropy of H2O(g) at 25°C and 1 bar, given the values for θrot, θvib, and g0. The individual is struggling with understanding the relevance of these values and is unsure which equation to use for the calculation. They have not been recommended a textbook and are having difficulty finding one that covers the necessary topics. They are seeking clarification and help in solving the problem.
physicisttobe
Homework Statement
molar Entropy
Relevant Equations
Hi everyone!

It's about the following task:
Calculate the molar entropy of H2O(g) at 25°C and 1 bar.
θrot = 40.1, 20.9K, 13.4K
θvib=5360K, 5160K, 2290K
g0,el = 1

Note for translational part: ln(x!) = x lnx - x

Can you explain me how to calculate this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicisttobe said:
Relevant Equations: ...
You can do better than this.

Likes Bystander
I mean I have to calculate the difference right?
I only know this formula: ∆𝑆 = +𝑁𝑘 ln(1/2 ) = −𝑁𝑘 ln(2)
I struggled the whole day with this task, I hope I can solve it with your help

I also know this equation: S = -nR (xA lnxA + xB lnxB)
The allegations above do not apply to those equations.

If you have such a question, you must have seen more equations than this. Assuming that this is a statistical physics course, you must have seen the link between entropy and the partition function.

But which equation do you mean? In statistical physics course we didn‘t calculate the molar entropy which is why I have struggles finding the right equation.
But in general you calculate molar quantities with this Sm = ∆S/n

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, our prof. didn't recommend any textbook. I was searching for a good textbook but I couldn't find helpful books, more specifically I couldn't find a textbook which includes exactly the topics we are discussing. Therefore, I had difficulties solving problems. Furthermore, we didn't calculate any problems yet. I hope, we will do some tasks with our prof. in the future but I don't want to wait. I want to practice now in order to understand the further lectures we are discussing in class.
Back to your question: No sorry, I don't understand why those quantities are given.

@DrClaude which equation should I use for this? Should I use the boltzmann equation S = kB lnW ?

physicisttobe said:
@DrClaude which equation should I use for this? Should I use the boltzmann equation S = kB lnW ?
I don't know which equation you should start from since I don't know what is to be taken for granted in your course. My starting point would have been to start from entropy as a function of the partition function.

1. What is the formula for calculating the molar entropy of H2O?

The formula for calculating the molar entropy of H2O is S = k ln W, where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of the molecules.

2. How do you determine the value of k in the molar entropy formula?

K is a constant value that is equal to 1.38 x 10^-23 J/K. It is a fundamental constant in thermodynamics and can be found in many scientific databases or textbooks.

3. Can the molar entropy of H2O be negative?

Yes, the molar entropy of H2O can be negative. This indicates that the system is becoming more ordered or organized, which is a decrease in entropy.

4. How does temperature affect the molar entropy of H2O?

As temperature increases, the molar entropy of H2O also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules have more kinetic energy and can move around and arrange themselves in more ways, resulting in a higher entropy value.

5. What is the unit of measurement for molar entropy?

The unit of measurement for molar entropy is joules per mole-kelvin (J/mol-K). This unit takes into account the amount of substance (mol) and the temperature (K) in the calculation of entropy.