Calculate the mechanical energy

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mechanical energy of a pendulum at its start position and lowest point of swing. The diameter, mass, initial height, and length of the pendulum are given, along with the time interval of the photogate light interruption. The equations for velocity and mechanical energy are discussed, and a solution attempt is provided. The conversation also mentions the law of conservation of energy and the position of the photobeam at the lowest point of the pendulum's motion. The question asks for the change in height from the first blockage of the photogate until the pendulum reaches its lowest point.
8uhohs
Thanks in advance for the help! I really appreciate it :D

Homework Statement

A pendulum was swung once and when the pendulum bob was at the lowest point of its swing, it broke a photogate light beam. The following information was collected:

• Diameter of pendulum bob = 3.50cm = 0.035m
  • mass of pendulum bob= 240.3g = 0.2403kg
  • initial height of pendulum bob = 48.0cm = 0.48m
  • length of pendulum string = 2.14m
  • time interval of photogate light interruption = 11.8ms = 0.0118s

Calculate the mechanical energy at the start position,S, and the lowest point of the pendulum's swing,L.

Homework Equations

vL=[tex]\frac{d}{t}[/tex] , where d is the diameter and t is the time
Emechanical=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2+mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]h

The Attempt at a Solution

yea I'm kind a positive this is not right but here's the only thing that i can come up with...

vL=[tex]\frac{d}{t}[/tex]
vL=[tex]\frac{0.035}{0.0118}[/tex]
vL=2.97m/s

at L,
Emechanical=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex](0.2403kg)(2.97m/s)2+(0.2403kg)(9.8m)(0)
I'm guessing the height of the pendulum bob at it's lowest is 0m
Emechanical= 1.06J

and for S, I'm guessing it has something to do with the law of conservation of energy...

yea i think I'm wrong since i didn't use some of the information given and later on it tells me to make a conclusion as to whether or not the pendulum demonstrated the law of conservation of energy ><

Physics news on Phys.org
The lowest point of the motion is the equilibrium position when the pendulum just hangs at rest. Is the photobeam blocked or unblocked at that point?

kuruman said:
The lowest point of the motion is the equilibrium position when the pendulum just hangs at rest. Is the photobeam blocked or unblocked at that point?

the photobeam should be blocked at that point and the question also give a diagram and the bob does continue on after reaching the lowest point, so it doesn't just hang at rest

I know that. So what is Δh from the point when the photogate is blocked for the first time until the pendulum reaches the lowest point?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, the relevant equations are:

1. The equation for velocity, v = d/t, where d is the distance and t is the time.
2. The equation for mechanical energy, E = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh, where m is mass, v is velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

I would then use the given information to calculate the velocity at the lowest point, vL, using the equation vL = d/t. The distance, d, is the length of the pendulum string, which is given as 2.14m. The time, t, is the time interval of the photogate light interruption, which is given as 0.0118s. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

vL = (2.14m)/(0.0118s) = 181.36 m/s

Next, I would use this velocity to calculate the mechanical energy at the lowest point, EL, using the equation E = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh. The mass, m, is given as 0.2403kg and the height, h, is 0.48m. Plugging in these values, we get:

EL = (1/2)(0.2403kg)(181.36 m/s)^2 + (0.2403kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.48m) = 20.36J

For the start position, S, we can use the same equation but with a different height, as the pendulum bob is at a different height. The initial height, hi, is given as 0.48m. Plugging in this value, we get:

ES = (1/2)(0.2403kg)(181.36 m/s)^2 + (0.2403kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.48m) = 20.36J

As we can see, the mechanical energy at both the start position and the lowest point is the same, indicating that the pendulum did demonstrate the law of conservation of energy. This means that the total energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant throughout the pendulum's motion.

Related to Calculate the mechanical energy

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energies of an object. Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How do you calculate mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy can be calculated by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy of an object. The formula for mechanical energy is: ME = PE + KE.

3. What units are used to measure mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy. Other common units for mechanical energy include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calorie (cal).

4. What factors affect mechanical energy?

The two main factors that affect mechanical energy are an object's mass and its velocity. An increase in mass will result in an increase in potential and kinetic energy, while an increase in velocity will result in a greater kinetic energy.

5. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, light, or sound. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.