Calculate the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder

In summary: Hello. I am looking for an estimate for installation of two solar panels on a horizontal 10 foot bar.There is not a one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the costs and installation requirements will vary depending on the particular situation and materials involved. However, some general advice on installing solar panels on a horizontal bar can be provided.Firstly, it is important to note that the weight of the solar panels will need to be taken into account when choosing the material for the bar. Solar panels are typically made from lightweight composite materials, such as concrete in plastic pipe, which can easily break and add weight to the bar. A structural I-beam, which is designed to support a heavy load, would be
RobTheTinker
Hello.
Here is my problem:
I want to mount 2 solar panels on a horizontal 10 foot bar. (panels are 5' and 20-40/lbs each - so 80lbs)
is there a formula i can use on each material option to figure out what material to use for the 10 foot bar (what won't break under the weight of the panels or bend or crack from the changes in temp and under load, and which is the cheapest option
I'm thinking a piece of 2" PVC filled with cement would do the job but i wonder if it would crack. I don't think 1 1/2 like chain link fence post pipes would be strong enough. I'd like to be able to figure it out with nice cheap math before going out and buying lots of things to experiment with.

google was little help with mostly similar questions with answer that say it depends on the material but that's what I'm trying to figure outThank you in advance for any assistance.

Yes and No. Not as simple as you are hoping for I guess, particularly when using composite materials like concrete in a pipe.
Concrete in plastic pipe might be a waste of time. It will probably break and just add weight on the pipe.
A structural I-beam would be your best option, this is what they are designed for.
Alternatives are steel / aluminium pipe, angle iron (steel / aluminium), c-section, or just the next size up PVC pipe.
If you can find the lengths just lean on them to see if they have the strength you need.
Otherwise, you will need to apply "s=My/I" to determine the maximum stress caused by the distributed load on the given cross section, and compare that with the yield strength of the material selected.

Thank you for replying but a structural I beam might be my best bet, but way out of my budget.
(cheapest I could find)
S 3 x 5.7 lb (3.00" x .170" web x 2.33" Standard Steel I Beam 10' $85.50
3" X 2.33" X .170" web 6061-T6 Aluminum I Beam - AS 12' $165.00
I'm just going to have to go about this the old fashioned way and experiment and get a piece of PVC, cement, a metal pipe and 4 40 lbs bags of mulch and leave them for a few months and see which holds before I go spending any real money.

Is it possible to have some bracing ? If the bar was supported at the mid point by a bracket or strut it would make solving your problem much easier .

A PVC tube is useless with concrete filling. It will expand in the heat and slide free. To give concrete strength it needs a tensile core.

If you are on a budget you should consider a hollow timber box beam. It can be screwed together from scrap pallet parts. You might also consider plywood side panels. A box beam could be tapered towards the ends. A coat of paint will preserve it.

Related to Calculate the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder

1. What is the definition of lateral strength / buckle point?

The lateral strength or buckle point of a cylinder refers to the maximum load or force that the cylinder can withstand before it starts to deform and buckle under compression.

2. How is the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder calculated?

The lateral strength or buckle point of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula: P = (σc * π * (D/2)^2) / (1 - (2 * ν)), where P is the lateral strength, σc is the compressive stress, D is the diameter of the cylinder, and ν is the Poisson's ratio of the material.

3. What factors affect the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder?

The lateral strength or buckle point of a cylinder can be affected by various factors such as the material properties, cylinder dimensions, applied load or force, and boundary conditions.

4. Can the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder be improved?

Yes, the lateral strength or buckle point of a cylinder can be improved by using stronger materials, increasing the cylinder's diameter, and providing additional support or reinforcement in the form of ribs or external bracing.

5. Why is it important to calculate the lateral strength / buckle point of a cylinder?

It is important to calculate the lateral strength or buckle point of a cylinder to ensure that it can safely withstand the expected loads and forces without failing or buckling. This information is crucial in the design and engineering of structures and equipment that use cylinders, such as pipelines, storage tanks, and hydraulic systems.