Calculate the Fourier Transform

In summary, The Fourier Transform of x(t) = e-|t| cos(2t) can be calculated by solving the first integral, which is (1/2) * (1/(1+(2-ω)j) + 1/(1+(-2-ω)j)). The second integral can be simplified by noticing that x(t) is an even function and the real part of the integral goes to 0 as t goes to positive infinity. This allows us to conclude that the second integral is equal to the first integral.
rht1369

Homework Statement

calculate the Fourier Transform of the following function:

Homework Equations

x(t) = e-|t| cos(2t)

The Attempt at a Solution

0-∞ et ((e2jt + e-2jt) / 2) e-jωt + ∫0 e-t ((e2jt + e-2jt) / 2) e-jωt

The first integral is easy to calculate and equals: (1/2) * (1/(1+(2-ω)j) + 1/(1+(-2-ω)j))
But how about the second integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did the first integral OK. Why do you think the second integral is harder than the first one?

But if you sketch a graph of x(t), you might notice something interesting that saves you some work...

AlephZero said:
You did the first integral OK. Why do you think the second integral is harder than the first one?

But if you sketch a graph of x(t), you might notice something interesting that saves you some work...

My problem is with the infinite boundaries. The first integral is simple since is done from -∞ to 0 and it makes the limit of exponential part will be zero But I am confused about the second one since its boundaries are from 0 to ∞ and I can get it how the limit of exponential part of this function will be zero too!

I sketched the graph. Do you mean that the function is asymmetric? so the doing the integration for one side will be equal to the another?

rht1369 said:
But I am confused about the second one since its boundaries are from 0 to ∞ and I can get it how the limit of exponential part of this function will be zero too!

The real part of the second integral is [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] which goes to 0 as t goes to [itex]+\infty[/itex]. That is similar to the first integral, where [itex]e^{+t}[/itex] goes to 0 as t goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

Do you mean that the function is asymmetric? so the doing the integration for one side will be equal to the another?

It would be better to call it "an even function" not "asymmetric", but you got the point that the two integrals are equal.

I would suggest using the properties of the Fourier Transform to simplify the second integral. Since the function is even, we can rewrite the integral as 2∫0∞ e-t cos(2t) e-jωt. We can then use the property of shifting to rewrite this as 2∫0∞ e-(t+jω) cos(2(t+jω)) dt. Using Euler's formula, we can further simplify this to 2∫0∞ e-(t+jω) (e2j(t+jω) + e-2j(t+jω))/2 dt. Finally, using the property of scaling, we can rewrite this as 2∫0∞ e-(t+jω) (e2jt + e-2jt)/2 e2jωt dt. This integral can then be evaluated using the same method as the first integral, resulting in the final Fourier Transform of x(t) as (1/2) * (1/(1+(2-ω)j) + 1/(1+(-2-ω)j)).

Related to Calculate the Fourier Transform

1. What is the Fourier Transform and why is it important?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a signal into its individual frequency components. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand complex signals, such as audio or images, in terms of their underlying frequencies.

2. How do you calculate the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves integration. Essentially, the signal is multiplied by a series of sine and cosine functions at different frequencies, and the resulting coefficients represent the strength of each frequency component in the signal.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform does the opposite - it converts a signal from the frequency domain back to the time domain.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in fields such as signal processing, image and audio analysis, and data compression. It is also used in scientific research, such as in analyzing the composition of materials using spectroscopy.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform?

One limitation of the Fourier Transform is that it assumes the signal being analyzed is periodic, meaning it repeats itself infinitely. This may not always be true for real-world signals, which can affect the accuracy of the resulting frequency analysis. Additionally, the Fourier Transform is only able to capture static frequency components and may not be suitable for analyzing signals that change over time.