Calculate the Fourier Transform using theorems

In summary, the Fourier transform of a function is the product of the Fourier transforms of its individual components.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Using a theorem (state which theorem you are using and give the formula), Calculate the Fourier Transform of
1. rect(x)triangle(x)
2.cos(pi*x)sinc(x)
3.rect(x)exp(-pi*x^2)
4.sinc(x)sin(pi*x)
5. exp(-pi*x^2)cos(pi*x)

Homework Equations

not sure what theorem to use for the first one.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am thinkng that since the triangle function is an even function, that I could use the power theorem which states that f(x)g(-x) = F(s)G(s)
so since triangle(-x)=triangle(x) I can just take the transform of rect(x) and multiply by the transform of triangle(x)

I should be able to do the same for the rest of them. take the function that is even and make it g(-x)? or does it matter if the function is even?
maybe it is just saying that given f(x) and g(x) reverse g(x) and multiply them together to get F(s) x G(s)?

so I got for number 1 : [sinc(pi * s) / (pi * s)]^3
do I integrate that or is that the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think (at least for me) some clarification would help.
What is rect(x)? Is that a square wave function? What is triangle(x)? Is that a triangular wave function? Is rect(x)triangel(x) their products? Not really sure what to do with this at this point.

Also, I should mention, I've never done Fourier transforms with theorems. I didn't even know there were any. I've always justg done it the long way.

I figured it out. I am supposed to use the convolution theorem.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I think (at least for me) some clarification would help.
What is rect(x)? Is that a square wave function? What is triangle(x)? Is that a triangular wave function? Is rect(x)triangel(x) their products? Not really sure what to do with this at this point.

Also, I should mention, I've never done Fourier transforms with theorems. I didn't even know there were any. I've always justg done it the long way.
yes and yes. turned out I am supposed to do the convolution theorem which states that the Fourier transform of (f(x) times g(x)) is equal to the convolution (F(s) convolved with G(s)) :)

Oh. Cool.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Oh. Cool.
any tips for doing the convolution of sinc(x) and sinc^2(x) ?

I converted sinc and sinc^2 into sin (pi x) / pi x

and I multiply them together but I can't do the integral... :(

for 2? so you have cos(pi*x)sin(pi*x)/(pi*x)?
u-sub u=sin(pi*x)/pi

Last edited:
or are you using sinc for the triangle wave?

##\frac{sin^2(x)}{x}+\frac{cos^2(x)}{x} = \frac{1}{x} (sin^2 +cos^2) = \frac{1}{x}(1) = \frac{1}{x}##
still a u sub, just a different u. If you have sinc^3, that's sinc^2*sinc which is (1/(argument)-cosc^2)sinc. I already feel like I'm giving out too much, so I'm going to stop here and let you take over.

Likes grandpa2390

Related to Calculate the Fourier Transform using theorems

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to represent a function in the frequency domain, where we can analyze its components and understand its behavior.

What are the theorems used to calculate the Fourier Transform?

There are several theorems that can be used to calculate the Fourier Transform, including the Fourier Transform Theorem, the Linearity Theorem, and the Time-Shifting Theorem. These theorems provide rules and formulas for transforming a function from the time domain to the frequency domain and vice versa.

How is the Fourier Transform calculated?

To calculate the Fourier Transform, we first need to express the function in terms of complex exponentials using Euler's formula. Then, we use the integral formula for the Fourier Transform, which involves integrating the function multiplied by the complex exponential over all values of time. The resulting integral is then evaluated to obtain the transformed function in the frequency domain.

What are some applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, in image processing to enhance images, and in mathematics to solve differential equations. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze and understand natural phenomena.

What are the limitations of using the Fourier Transform?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the function being transformed is periodic and that it contains only a finite number of frequencies. This means that the Fourier Transform may not accurately represent functions with infinite discontinuities or those that contain an infinite number of frequencies. Additionally, the Fourier Transform cannot capture localized information, as it spreads out the frequency components over the entire spectrum.