Calculate the force on a squre plane exerted by a pressure

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of force and sound pressure on a rectangular object in a scenario where a sound source is mapped on a 10cm x 10cm plane and reflected off a 100cm x 100cm plane. The conversation also explored the impact of the size and geometry of the reflector on the reflected sound wave and how to calculate the force exerted on the object due to the reflected sound wave. The ultimate goal of levitating the object using the reflected sound pressure was also mentioned.
bienleduy
Hi, I have a situation like the following and I need to calculate the force as well as the sound pressure exerts on a rectangular object.

If I have a sound source which is mapped on a 10cm x 10cm square plane, and the sound source generates for example 20Pa (N/m2) . The generated sound travels and is reflected by another plane with the dimention 100cm x 100cm, and it comes back into its own square plane(10cm x 10cm).

As far as I know, there will be a force exerted on the 10cm x 10cm plane by the reflected sound pressure.
Assume the distance between 2 square planes is 1cm. Then how large that force would be.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you know the pressure wave for the sound, and you know the area he pressure is exerted over, then the definition of pressure would be a good place to start.

What do you need to know for?

Simon Bridge said:
Well if you know the pressure wave for the sound, and you know the area he pressure is exerted over, then the definition of pressure would be a good place to start.

What do you need to know for?

Thanks for the response @Simon Bridge.
I guess the force exerted on the 10cm x 10cm (let call it P1 with the area A1) by the reflected sound would be a multiplication of the sound pressure of the reflected sound wave and area A1.
But the problem is:
The sound source is generating the sound wave continuously, so I think:
1) there may be a superposition between the reflected wave and the new generated wave. But I'm not sure and don't know how to calculate the final sound pressure at P1 in case it exists.
2) I think the size of the reflector 100cm x 100cm (let call it P2 with the area A2) also has some influence on the sound pressure or the exerted force on P1. But I don't know how is the relation between them.

I couldn't find any information for this problem.
Thanks very much

But

1) there will - the exact solution depends on how the reflector responds to the pressure.
There will also be turbulence. However - it's still a good start off the information you have provided.

2) The geometry of the reflectors will be important - all reflectors will have an impact.
Note: sound does not produce a constant pressure.

Likes 1 person
Thanks @Simon Bridge.
As you said, the geometry of the reflector has an impact on the reflected sound wave. How about the size of the reflector. I think it should be larger than the size of the generator plane, but how much larger should it be, and is there any difference if it's 10 times larger or 100 times larger than the generator plane.

Could you please do me a favor?
Assume that we have a system as described above. Could you please give me an example with some numbers, so that I can have a better understanding as well as know how to calculate the force exerted on the plane P1, which has the sound generator, due to the reflected sound wave.

Because I want to levitate the plane P1 using the force exerted by the reflected sound pressure to cancel the gravity force. Supposed that the reflector P2 is fixed and the plane P1 has a light weight e.g 50gram. ( If there is any need parameter missing, please just give it some value).

I really appreciate for your help. Thank you very much.

There are plenty of resources for acoustic levitation.
Use those words as a search term.

Related to Calculate the force on a squre plane exerted by a pressure

1. How do you calculate the force on a square plane?

To calculate the force on a square plane, you need to multiply the pressure applied to the plane by its surface area. The formula for this is F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for pressure?

The unit of measurement for pressure is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) in the SI system. However, other commonly used units include pounds per square inch (psi) and atmospheres (atm).

3. How does the orientation of the plane affect the force calculation?

The orientation of the plane does not affect the force calculation. As long as the pressure and surface area are accurately measured, the force calculation will remain the same regardless of the orientation of the plane.

4. Can you use this formula to calculate the force on any shape of plane?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the force on any shape of plane as long as the pressure and surface area are accurately measured. It does not matter if the plane is square, rectangular, or any other shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the force on a square plane?

Calculating the force on a square plane is an important concept in various fields of science and engineering. It can be used in designing and building structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand the pressure exerted on them. It is also crucial in understanding fluid dynamics and the movement of liquids and gases, such as in hydraulic systems and aerodynamics.