Calculate the force of ball on an incline leaning on a wall

In summary: Correct !Notice that this vertical force is greater than the vertical force that the incline exerts for the case when the ball is allowed to roll.
Amit86
Hi all,

I'm working on a problem from the Feynman exercise book, and have been racking my brains for an answer, so would really appreciate some help here. The problem seems simple enough:

A ball with a 3cm radius, weighing 1kg rests on an inclined plane (angle alpha) and also touches a vertical wall. Neglect friction.

(see attached diagram)

What is the force of the ball acting on the wall (Fw)?

The answers in the back gives
Fw= tan(alpha) kg.wt

I got the force due to gravity acting down the plane, Fr = 9.81.sin(alpha). The horizontal component of this force, which to my mind is the force acting on the wall, is

Frhor=9.81* sin(alpha)cos(alpha)

What am I missing here?!

Thanks!

Amit

Attachments

• ball in corner problem.png
    ball in corner problem.png
    847 bytes · Views: 954
Physics news on Phys.org
Amit86 said:
Hi all,

I'm working on a problem from the Feynman exercise book, and have been racking my brains for an answer, so would really appreciate some help here. The problem seems simple enough:

A ball with a 3cm radius, weighing 1kg rests on an inclined plane (angle alpha) and also touches a vertical wall. Neglect friction.

(see attached diagram)

What is the force of the ball acting on the wall (Fw)?

The answers in the back gives
Fw= tan(alpha) kg.wt

I got the force due to gravity acting down the plane, Fr = 9.81.sin(alpha). The horizontal component of this force, which to my mind is the force acting on the wall, is

Frhor=9.81* sin(alpha)cos(alpha)

What am I missing here?!

Thanks!

Amit
Hello Amit86. Welcome to PF !

ball-in-corner-problem-png.85133.png

The only forces acting on the ball are gravity, and the two forces supplied by the two surfaces. Right ?

Can the vertical wall counteract the force gravity exerts on the ball?

Hi, Sammy. That's correct.

Amit86 said:
Hi, Sammy. That's correct.
There are two questions I asked.

I imagine the vertical wall can counteract the force

Amit86 said:
I imagine the vertical wall can counteract the force
(By the way, there is a "Reply" feature in the lower right-hand corner of the message screen that's helpful with dialogue.)

Can the vertical surface produce a force on the ball that has a vertical component?

(There's no friction.)

SammyS said:
(By the way, there is a "Reply" feature in the lower right-hand corner of the message screen that's helpful with dialogue.)

Can the vertical surface produce a force on the ball that has a vertical component?

(There's no friction.)
As far as I can tell, I don't think it can. "both surfaces have negligible friction"

Amit86 said:
As far as I can tell, I don't think it can. "both surfaces have negligible friction"
Right.

Therefore, only the incline can provide a force which has the vertical component necessary to counter act the gravitational force. Right?

SammyS said:
Right.

Therefore, only the incline can provide a force which has the vertical component necessary to counter act the gravitational force. Right?
I suppose that's true.

You say things like "I imagine", "as far as I can tell", and "I suppose". Do you know in what direction gravity acts? Do you know in which direction the force from the wall acts?

HallsofIvy said:
You say things like "I imagine", "as far as I can tell", and "I suppose". Do you know in what direction gravity acts? Do you know in which direction the force from the wall acts?

Of course I do; check the diagram. I am looking for some insight into where the tan(alpha) comes from. I've provided all the information given in the question, I need to get some sense of how to proceed with a solution, and would appreciate constructive advice.

SammyS said:
Right.

This should help you to find the vertical force the incline needs to exert on the ball.

SammyS said:
This should help you to find the vertical force the incline needs to exert on the ball.
okay thanks!

Amit86 said:
okay thanks!
Ok so I think I've got then...

The vertical component of the reaction force of the plane = the total gravitational force (i.e 9.81 x 1kg), so the horizontal component of reaction force of the plane would be 9.81*tan alpha Newtons or

Fw= tan(alpha) kg wt

Thanks for your help!

Amit86 said:
Ok so I think I've got then...

The vertical component of the reaction force of the plane = the total gravitational force (i.e 9.81 x 1kg), so the horizontal component of reaction force of the plane would be 9.81*tan alpha Newtons or

Fw= tan(alpha) kg wt

Thanks for your help!
Correct !

Notice that this vertical force is greater than the vertical force that the incline exerts for the case when the ball is allowed to roll.

Last edited:

Related to Calculate the force of ball on an incline leaning on a wall

1. How do I calculate the force of a ball on an incline leaning on a wall?

To calculate the force of a ball on an incline leaning on a wall, you will need to use the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the force of the ball?

The force of the ball is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. As the angle increases, the force also increases.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the force on an incline?

The force on an incline is directly proportional to the mass of the ball. This means that as the mass increases, the force also increases.

4. Can I use this formula for any incline angle?

Yes, you can use this formula for any incline angle as long as the incline is not too steep, as this formula assumes a small angle approximation.

5. Is the force of the ball on an incline leaning on a wall the same as the force of gravity?

No, the force of the ball on an incline leaning on a wall is not the same as the force of gravity. The force of gravity is always acting straight down towards the center of the Earth, while the force of the ball on an incline is acting parallel to the incline.