Calculate the energies of the six lowest states

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the energies of the six lowest states for a particle confined to move in a 2-dimensional box. The equations given are not sufficient and the person suggests reading about how the first equation was derived to properly set up the problem.
acusanelli

Homework Statement

Suppose that a particle of mass m is confined to move in the x-y plane in a 2-dimensional box of length Lx = L and LY = ½ L. Calculate the energies of the six lowest states.

Homework Equations

not sure to set up this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

the most I can get is
E = (h^2π^2(n1^2+.5n2^2))/ 2mL^2
E = (h^2π^2)/ mL^2
and I don't think this is right

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have two energy equations? You know how to separate the wavefunction and solve for it in 2 dimensions. What can you say about the total energy after you separated the variables?

thats because I don't know how to set the problem up, i pulled those equations out of the book and am not sure what I am doing

You should read how the first equation you listed was derived. That way you can reproduce it for your problem.

I would suggest setting up the problem using the Schrödinger equation for a 2-dimensional box potential. This equation represents the allowed energy levels for a particle confined to a specific region, such as the x-y plane in this case. The equation is:

HΨ = EΨ

Where H is the Hamiltonian operator, Ψ is the wavefunction, and E is the energy.

To solve for the energies of the six lowest states, you will need to solve the Schrödinger equation for the lowest six energy eigenvalues. This can be done by using separation of variables and solving the resulting equations for the energy eigenvalues.

Once you have the energy eigenvalues, you can use the equation E = (h^2π^2(n1^2+.5n2^2))/ 2mL^2 to calculate the energies of the six lowest states. Make sure to use the correct values for n1 and n2, which represent the quantum numbers for each dimension.

I would also suggest checking your final answer by comparing it to the expected energies for a 2-dimensional box potential, which are given by:

E = (h^2π^2(n1^2+n2^2))/ 2mL^2

Remember to use the same values for n1 and n2 as you did in the Schrödinger equation.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and obtain the correct energies for the six lowest states. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to seek guidance from your instructor or consult a textbook or online resources. Good luck!

Related to Calculate the energies of the six lowest states

1. What is the purpose of calculating the energies of the six lowest states?

The purpose of calculating the energies of the six lowest states is to understand the behavior and properties of a specific system or particle. This calculation can provide valuable information about the stability, excitations, and transitions of the system.

2. How are the energies of the six lowest states calculated?

The energies of the six lowest states are typically calculated using mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics. These equations take into account the properties of the system, such as its mass, potential energy, and interactions with other particles.

3. Can the energies of the six lowest states be measured experimentally?

Yes, in some cases, the energies of the six lowest states can be measured experimentally. This can be done through techniques such as spectroscopy, where the energy levels of a system can be observed through the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation.

4. What factors can affect the energies of the six lowest states?

The energies of the six lowest states can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the system's interactions, external forces, and the presence of other particles. These factors can cause the energy levels to shift or split into sub-levels.

5. How can the energies of the six lowest states be used in practical applications?

The energies of the six lowest states have many practical applications, including the design of electronic devices, understanding chemical reactions, and predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions. They are also crucial in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and quantum computing.