Calculate the electric potential at the center of the hexagon

In summary, a plastic rod with a total charge Q uniformly distributed along its length is bent into a regular hexagon where each side has a length of 2a. The electric potential at the center of the hexagon (relative to the point at infinity) can be calculated by dividing the hexagon into 6 segments, each with a charge of Q/6, and using the formula V = kQ/r to find the potential at each point. By symmetry, the total potential at the center will be 6 times the potential due to one segment. The potential due to one segment can be calculated by integrating the equation V = k dq/r from -a to a, where dq is Q/6a, and fixing the distance,
noob314
A plastic rod with a total charge Q uniformly distributed along its length is bent into a regular hexagon where each side has a length of 2a, as shown below. Calculate the electric potential at the center of the hexagon (relative to the point at infinity).

I wasn't sure how to exactly start this problem, so what I did was "simplify" the hexagon into 6 points with a charge of Q/6 on each end of the hexagon and calculated the electric potential of each point from the equation V = kQ/r, giving the total potential of kQ/2a at the center. I'm not sure if that's the correct way to go about in solving this problem, as I don't know the final answer, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• hexagon.jpg
    hexagon.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 969
Physics news on Phys.org
noob314 said:
A plastic rod with a total charge Q uniformly distributed along its length is bent into a regular hexagon where each side has a length of 2a, as shown below. Calculate the electric potential at the center of the hexagon (relative to the point at infinity).

I wasn't sure how to exactly start this problem, so what I did was "simplify" the hexagon into 6 points with a charge of Q/6 on each end of the hexagon and calculated the electric potential of each point from the equation V = kQ/r, giving the total potential of kQ/2a at the center. I'm not sure if that's the correct way to go about in solving this problem, as I don't know the final answer, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Good try, but no cigar. :smile:

By symmetry, you can see that the potential will just be six times the potential due to one segment. To calculate the potential due to one segment, you're going to have to do an integration. Your textbook should have an example of how to do problems requiring integration.

Ah, I see. That makes things a lot more simple. So the integral would be
[tex]V= -\int^{a}_{0}\frac{k\lambda dx}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/tex]

with [tex]\lambda[/tex] being [tex]\frac{Q}{6a}[/tex] and after doing the integral,

[tex]V = \frac{kQ}{6a}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+y^{2}}}{y}[/tex]

With 6 segments, the total electric potential at the center would be
[tex]V = \frac{kQ}{a}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+y^{2}}}{y}[/tex]
correct?

You generally have the right idea, but you need to clean up some details. For instance, your charge density is wrong because the length of each side is 2a, not a. You need to get rid of y and write the answer in terms of a. Also, check the limits on your integral.

Edit: I looked at another source for the same example of the rod and found that my textbook's example is incorrect. The limits of integration should be -a to a. Charge density is Q/12a. And the electric potential of one segment would be V= kQ/12a ln[...]

I'm guessing y is a constant, which would therefore make it 2a and the charge density would be Q/12a.

I'm confused about the integral now. From an example I have seen, a rod of finite length L has a charge of q and you have to find the electric potential at a point P at a distance d from the midpoint of the rod.

It looks like they divided the rod into two pieces, and showed through symmetry that those two pieces contribute an equal amount to the overall potential at the point which would give this integral with dq being q/L.
[tex]V = \int^{L/2}_{0}\frac{2kdq}{r}[/tex]

with the final answer being

[tex]\frac{2kq}{L}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{d}[/tex]Assuming one segment of the hexagon is equivalent to a rod, and substituting my values into their answer, the potential for one segment of the hexagon would be
[tex]V = \frac{kQ}{6a}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{5a^{2}}}{a^{2}}[/tex]

which is why I'm confused. Since substituting 2a into L in their answer, which would make the 2's cancel out, and substituting Q/6 into q would give me the answer I got originally.

Last edited:
noob314 said:
I'm guessing y is a constant, which would therefore make it 2a and the charge density would be Q/12a.

I'm confused about the integral now. From an example I have seen, a rod of finite length L has a charge of q and you have to find the electric potential at a point P at a distance d from the midpoint of the rod.

It looks like they divided the rod into two pieces, and showed through symmetry that those two pieces contribute an equal amount to the overall potential at the point which would give this integral with dq being q/L.
[tex]V = \int^{L/2}_{0}\frac{2kdq}{r}[/tex]

with the final answer being

[tex]\frac{2kq}{L}\ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{d}[/tex]
You're work is good up to here. You can calculate what d is in terms of a using basic trig and geometry.
Assuming one segment of the hexagon is equivalent to a rod, and substituting my values into their answer, the potential for one segment of the hexagon would be
[tex]V = \frac{kQ}{6a}\ln\frac{a+\sqrt{5a^{2}}}{a^{2}}[/tex]

which is why I'm confused. Since substituting 2a into L in their answer, which would make the 2's cancel out, and substituting Q/6 into q would give me the answer I got originally.
You replaced q=Q/6 and L=2a, but your expression is still the potential due to just one rod. You need to multiply by 6 (and fix d) to get the potential due to all of the rods.

vela said:
You replaced q=Q/6 and L=2a, but your expression is still the potential due to just one rod. You need to multiply by 6 (and fix d) to get the potential due to all of the rods.
I know that is the potential for one rod, but you stated that I needed to check my limits of integration. I'm also getting conflicting answers from two different sources. In one source, they integrate from -a to a, and have the electric potential as

[tex]
\frac{kQ}{L}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{-a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}
[/tex]
and in another source, they integrate from 0 to a and their answer is

[tex]
\frac{2kQ}{L}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{d}
[/tex]
I'm not sure which one is correct or if those two are equivalent to each other.

noob314 said:
I know that is the potential for one rod, but you stated that I needed to check my limits of integration.
Oh, okay. I thought you were saying that was your final answer. Regarding the limits of integration, in your first post, you integrated from only 0 to a yet had no factor of 2. That's what I was getting at.
I'm also getting conflicting answers from two different sources. In one source, they integrate from -a to a, and have the electric potential as

[tex]
\frac{kQ}{L}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{-a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}
[/tex]
and in another source, they integrate from 0 to a and their answer is

[tex]
\frac{2kQ}{L}ln\frac{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+d^{2}}}{d}
[/tex]
I'm not sure which one is correct or if those two are equivalent to each other.
They're equivalent to each other because

[tex]\frac{d}{-a+\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}\times\frac{a+\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}{a+\sqrt{a^2+d^2}} = \frac{a+\sqrt{a^2+d^2}}{d}[/tex]

Got it. Thanks for helping me out.

Related to Calculate the electric potential at the center of the hexagon

1. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the proportionality constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

2. How do I calculate the electric potential at the center of a hexagon?

To calculate the electric potential at the center of a hexagon, you need to know the charges of each point on the hexagon and the distance from the center to each point. Then, use the formula V = kQ/r for each point and add up the values to get the total electric potential at the center.

3. What does the electric potential at the center of a hexagon represent?

The electric potential at the center of a hexagon represents the amount of work required to move a unit charge from infinity to the center of the hexagon. It is also a measure of the strength of the electric field at that point.

4. Can the electric potential at the center of a hexagon be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at the center of a hexagon can be negative if the charges on the hexagon are negative or if the distance from the center to the charges is greater than the distance from the center to infinity. This indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

5. How does the shape of the hexagon affect the electric potential at the center?

The shape of the hexagon does not affect the electric potential at the center. As long as the distance from the center to each point on the hexagon is the same, the total electric potential at the center will be the same regardless of the shape of the hexagon.