Calculate the density of Na metal.

In summary, the density of Na metal can be calculated by dividing the mass of 4 Na atoms in a unit cell (1.527 * 10^-22 g) by the volume of the unit cell (7.6225 * 10^-23 cm^3) to get 2.00 g/cm^3. However, the correct answer is actually 1.00 g/cm^3 due to the fact that each corner atom is shared by 8 unit cells, so only (1/8)th of each atom belongs to the body-centered cubic. Plus the one in the middle. This was determined by going back to the definition and consulting external resources.
daviddee305
1. Calculate the density of Na metal. The length of the body-centered cubic unit cell is 4.24 Å.2. Attempted solution:

[4 Na Atoms/unit cell] * [1 mol Na atoms/(6.022*10^23 atoms)] * [22.99g Na/1 mol Na] = 1.527 * 10-22 g/unit cell

(4.24 Å)3 = 7.6225 * 10-23 cm3/unit cell[1.527 * 10-22 g/unit cell] / [7.6225 * 10-23 cm3/unit cell] = 2.00 g/cm3The correct answer is 1.00 g/cm3... What went wrong in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
daviddee305 said:
body-centered cubic

[4 Na Atoms/unit cell] …

Hi daviddee305! :smile:

There are 9 atoms in a body-centered cubic cell (1 in the centre, and one at each vertex), but how many cells is each atom in (and why)? :wink:

Each corner atom is shared by 8 unit cells, so only (1/8)th of each atom belongs to the body-centered cubic. Plus the one in the middle. Thank you.

That was a great follow-up question, exactly what I needed to see through these confusing diagrams in my text.

daviddee305 said:
Each corner atom is shared by 8 unit cells, so only (1/8)th of each atom belongs to the body-centered cubic. Plus the one in the middle. Thank you.

That was a great follow-up question, exactly what I needed to see through these confusing diagrams in my text.

Yup … always go back to the definition. :biggrin:

(And now have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body-centred_cubic. :wink:)

Related to Calculate the density of Na metal.

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of Na metal?

The formula for calculating density is mass divided by volume. In the case of Na metal, the formula would be density = mass / volume.

2. How do I measure the mass of Na metal?

The mass of Na metal can be measured using a balance or scale. Place the metal on the balance and record the measurement in grams.

3. What units should I use for density?

Density is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or grams per milliliter (g/mL). Both units are equivalent and can be used for calculating the density of Na metal.

4. How do I calculate the volume of Na metal?

The volume of Na metal can be calculated by dividing the mass of the metal by its density. Alternatively, you can measure the volume of the metal by placing it in a graduated cylinder and recording the displacement of the liquid.

5. What is the density of Na metal?

The density of Na metal is 0.97 g/cm3 at room temperature. However, the density may vary slightly depending on the purity and temperature of the metal.