Calculate the coefficient of friction between the two bundles of candy

In summary: Unless I am missing something about the problem, that is.I'm not saying that the two accelerations are exactly the same, just that the ratio of the two is such that the small block is pushed backward at a slow rate. I'm not sure if the two accelerations would be the same, but it seems like the only way to solve for the coefficient of friction is to have a second equation. I'm not sure if the work formulation would work. Seems like it would, but I would have to play with it to see.In summary, Mrs. K uses a shrink wrap machine to bundle candy into two blocks, one weighing 8 kg and the other 2 kg. She places the smaller block on top
TheLegace

Homework Statement

Mrs. K has just received a large shipment of candy at the local Blockbuster. Wanting to get out of the store as fast as possible (so that she can return to her loving husband) she uses the shrink wrap machine to bundle the candy into two blocks, one of 8 kg and the other of 2 kg. The 8 kg bundle is 4 m in length and the 2 kg bundle is only 20 cm in length. She places the smaller bundle on the 8 kg bundle such that the front faces of both are flush with each other. She pushes on the 8 kg bundle with a constant force of 100 N and the system begins to move. The coefficient of friction between the 8 kg bundle and the floor is only 0.1. She notices that as she pushes on the candy that the 2 kg bundle is slowly drifting towards her. When she has pushed a total distance of 10 m, the 2 kg bundle has moved so that it is now flush with the rear of the 8 kg block. Calculate the coefficient of friction between the two bundles of candy.

Homework Equations

There is a constant force being applied, thereforre work is being done.
W = Fcosd

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the work being done by the person on the entire system.

W= 100N(cos0)(10m) = 1000J.
As well work being done by friction on the system
W = (0.1)(100N)(cos180)(10m) = -100J
I am not sure where to go from here.
The work done by friction on the 2kg box, I could then figure out the coefficient of friction, knowing the force of friction and Fn. But other then that I don't know where to go...

Any help is appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all check your work done by the friction on the big block.

Secondly, I'm quite sure this problem can be done without bringing work into the picture.
Hint: What would the little block's acceleration be if there had been no friction between the 2 blocks?

Hint: What would the little block's acceleration be if there had been no friction between the 2 blocks?
That would be probably zero, I don't know if it is helpful in any way.

I apologize, you do have to bring work into this. The way that comes to me to do this problem is by switching reference frames. You know the what the work done on the block as it moves from rest to (10m minus the length along top of block) related to the mu(along the top). This is equal to the work done by the fictitious force minus the friction force, along the top of the block only. The fictitious force is the mass of the small block times the acceleration of the large block. You are basically equating the work done in the stationary reference frame to one which is accelerating with the large block. Somebody tell me if I have this correct.

I would do this problem without calculating the work. You can draw separate force diagrams for each of the blocks, and therefore get two equations, each with the coefficient of friction that you're looking for and the acceleration of each block. Then, since you can find the distance each one travels (in the same amount of time), you can find the ratio of their accelerations.

At that point you can solve for the desired coefficient. What do you get?

TheLegace said:
… the system begins to move … the 2 kg bundle is slowly drifting towards her.

As a matter of interpretation of examination questions, don't those two phrases mean that both the accelerations are to be taken as zero? :confused:

Hi tiny-tim,

I don't think we can assume that the acceleration of the large package is approximately zero unless we know that the coefficient of kinetic and static friction between the package and the floor are approximately equal.

I was considering about how to use the fact that the smaller box has close to the same acceleration as the large box (since it appears to be drifting slowly backwards), but the coefficient that we are looking for would be related to how close those accelerations are (in terms of their ratio), so I concluded the direct (exact) method would be best.

Related to Calculate the coefficient of friction between the two bundles of candy

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a unitless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less resistance and higher values indicating more resistance.

Why is it important to calculate the coefficient of friction?

Calculating the coefficient of friction allows us to understand the amount of friction and resistance between two surfaces in contact. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency and effectiveness of various systems and materials, and can also help in predicting and preventing potential accidents or failures.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force, and W is the weight.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the two surfaces, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How can the coefficient of friction be used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in various real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing machinery and vehicles, understanding and improving the performance of sports equipment, and ensuring the safety and stability of structures and buildings.