Calculate the average velocity of the car

In summary: Oh right, thank you!In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the average velocity of a car that travels along a straight road with a given equation for its distance from a traffic light. The average velocity was determined by using the definition of average velocity and the given information.
David112234

Homework Statement

[/B]
A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t)=bt2−ct3, where b = 3.00 m/s2 and c = 0.130 m/s3 .

Calculate the average velocity of the car for the time interval t= 0 to t= 10.0 s

Homework Equations

[/B]
vav = V2-V1/T2-T1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
x(t) = 3.00 t^2 - .130 t^3
differentiation \/
v(t) = 6.00t - .39 t^2
a(t) = 6.00 - .78t

V(0) = 6.00 (0) - .39 (0)
v(10) = 6.00 (10) - .39 (10)^2
= 60.0 - 39.
= 21

21-0/ 10-0
21/10

it tells me its wrong, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:
vav = V2-V1/T2-T1
What are the units of (V2-V1)/(T2-T1) or of velocity/time?

What are the units of distance divided by time?

What are the units of speed or velocity?

The average velocity is not the same as the change in velocity divided by time (because that is the average acceleration).

BvU said:
The average velocity is not the same as the change in velocity divided by time (because that is the average acceleration).
oh right, I forgot, so I tried dividing it my 2 instead of the time interval and i get 10.5, not the answer either

That's because the velocity doesn't depend linearly on time: ##\Delta v\over 2 ## doesn't work then.
So all you have to go by in this exercise is the definition of average velocity: $$<\vec v> \equiv {\Delta \vec x \over \Delta t}$$ and with the given information it turns out to be a fairly easy exercise :smile:

--

Related to Calculate the average velocity of the car

1. How do you calculate the average velocity of a car?

The average velocity of a car can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the car by the total time taken to cover that distance. This can be represented by the formula: Average Velocity = Total Distance / Total Time.

2. What units are used to measure average velocity?

Average velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

3. Can the average velocity of a car change during its journey?

Yes, the average velocity of a car can change during its journey. This can occur if the car speeds up or slows down at different points during its journey, resulting in a change in the total distance traveled or total time taken.

4. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are both measures of how fast an object is moving, but they differ in the fact that velocity takes into account the direction of motion while speed does not. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

5. What factors can affect the average velocity of a car?

The average velocity of a car can be affected by factors such as traffic, road conditions, and the driver's behavior. These can all impact the total distance traveled or total time taken, and therefore, the average velocity of the car.