Calculate the area of water suspended at 500m to produce 23TWh

• Thread starter HorseRidingTic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Water
In summary, a calculation was done to determine the area of water, suspended at 500m, needed to produce 23TWh of energy. The initial answer seemed too small, but a revised calculation resulted in an area of 395m x 395m if the water was 30m deep. However, this still seems too small and would only last for a short period of time for a small number of people. The correct amount of water needed would be significantly larger at approximately 85^2 times more for 23 TWh. Additionally, it was noted that the amount of stored energy is actually 23*10^12 J, or 23 TW-s, not 23 TW-h, and the initial calculation did not
HorseRidingTic
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
Calculate the area of water, suspended at 500m, needed to produce 23TWh of energy
I've done a calculation but the answer seems far too small
If I needed to store the UK's supply of energy for three months i.e. 23TWh of energy
in a reverse pump hydro storage at an elevation of 500m
using
P=mgh

I've got an answer of 395m x 395m if the water was 30m deep but this seems way too small.

HorseRidingTic

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that? Your answer is about 1250 swimming pools which would last 625 people about a year or 2500 people 3 months (assuming about 5.5 MWh per person per year). There are like 64 million people in UK so you need lots more, like 160^2 times more.
Edit I was looking at the 3 months maybe 85^2 times more for 23 TWh which is less than the 88 TWh I assumed.

Last edited:
I think that amount of stored energy is 23*10^12 J, or 23 TW-s, not 23 TW-h. You forgot the 3600 seconds in an hour, which will make the amount of water needed 3600 times larger.

Related to Calculate the area of water suspended at 500m to produce 23TWh

1. How do you calculate the area of water suspended at 500m?

To calculate the area of water suspended at 500m, you will need to know the depth of the water, the distance between the suspended area and the surface of the water, and the shape of the suspended area. You can then use the formula for calculating the surface area of a shape, such as a rectangle or triangle, to determine the area.

2. What is the significance of the 500m depth in this calculation?

The 500m depth is significant because it is the distance at which the water is suspended. This means that the entire surface area of the suspended water must be accounted for in the calculation.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the area of water suspended at 500m?

The unit of measurement for the area of water suspended at 500m will depend on the unit of measurement used for the depth and distance. Typically, it will be measured in square meters (m2) or square kilometers (km2).

4. How does the calculation of the area of water suspended at 500m relate to producing 23TWh?

The calculation of the area of water suspended at 500m is related to producing 23TWh because it is used to determine the potential energy that can be harnessed from the suspended water. This energy can then be converted into electricity, with 1 terawatt-hour (TWh) being equal to 1 trillion watt-hours.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated area of water suspended at 500m?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated area of water suspended at 500m. These include the accuracy of the measurements of depth and distance, variations in the shape of the suspended area, and changes in water levels or currents. It is important to use precise and up-to-date measurements for the most accurate calculation.