Calculate the area of the circle

In summary, Chet asks for clarification on the given problem and asks for a hint. The image provided shows a circle with two line segments labeled '2' and '6'. The question asks to label an acute angle θ and to find the value of the diameter 2r in terms of θ using the given information. Chet suggests using trigonometry to solve the problem, but the other person suggests using Pythagoras' theorem instead. Chet agrees with the other person's method.
Saeed.z
i tried hard to solve this question but i got a complicated answer

any hint ?

http://www.gulfup.net/uploads/13634557771.gif

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Saeed.z said:
i tried hard to solve this question but i got a complicated answer

any hint ?

http://www.gulfup.net/uploads/13634557771.gif

thanks

Show your work.

Anyway, what are the '2' and the '6': are they lengths of line segments, or are they areas of sub-regions?

^

yes, they are length of line segments.

Label the acute angle θ. Using the right triangle on the bottom, express the radius in terms of θ. Draw a line from the intersection of the secant with the circle arc, running to the intersection of the vertical diameter with the circle arc. This produces another right triangle, with the diameter as its hypotenuse. Express the diameter 2r in terms of θ using this larger triangle.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Label the acute angle θ. Using the right triangle on the bottom, express the radius in terms of θ. Draw a line from the intersection of the secant with the circle arc, running to the intersection of the vertical diameter with the circle arc. This produces another right triangle, with the diameter as its hypotenuse. Express the diameter 2r in terms of θ using this larger triangle.

Chet

Well, I'll take your word for it that that would work, but you sure do like to make things difficult. There is no need to bring angles or trig into it at all. Pythagoras would have gotten this one right off and I don't think he knew any trig.

EDIT: "no need for angles" isn't quite right, since it DOES depend on similar triangles

Last edited:
I like your way better, although it gives the same answer.

Chet

Related to Calculate the area of the circle

What is the formula for calculating the area of a circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do I find the radius of a circle if I know the area?

To find the radius of a circle if you know the area, you can use the formula r = √(A/π), where r is the radius and A is the area.

Can I use any unit of measurement for calculating the area of a circle?

Yes, as long as the unit of measurement is consistent for both the radius and the area. For example, if the radius is measured in inches, the area should also be measured in square inches.

What is the value of π and where did it come from?

The value of π (pi) is approximately 3.14159 and it is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It has been used in mathematics for thousands of years and is an irrational number.

Can I use the area of a circle to find the circumference?

Yes, you can use the area of a circle to find the circumference by using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.