Calculate the area of a triangle knowing its 3 heights

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the area of a triangle using its three heights (ha = 3m, hb = 4m, hc = 5m) and suggests using Heron's formula to do so. It also mentions the use of the online triangle calculator TrianCal.
loquetedigo
Calculate the area of a triangle knowing its 3 heights

ha = 3 m
hb = 4 m
hc = 5 m

NOTE = You can use the online triangle calculator TrianCal to see and draw the results.
NOTE = Do not use the values ??of responses.

A) 10.03 m2
B) 10.04 m2
C) 10.05 m2
D) Imposible

Mathematics news on Phys.org
greg1313 said:
Can you apply Heron's formula?
thanks...
Next, denoting the altitudes from sides a, b, and c respectively as ha, hb, and hc, and denoting the semi-sum of the reciprocals of the altitudes as H = (h_a^{-1} + h_b^{-1} + h_c^{-1})/2 we have[11]

A^{-1} = 4 \sqrt{H(H-h_a^{-1})(H-h_b^{-1})(H-h_c^{-1})}.

Last edited:

Related to Calculate the area of a triangle knowing its 3 heights

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle given its 3 heights?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle using its 3 heights is A = (1/2) * h1 * h2 * h3, where h1, h2, and h3 are the three heights of the triangle.

2. How do I determine the heights of a triangle?

The heights of a triangle can be determined by measuring the perpendicular distance from each vertex to the opposite side. Alternatively, if you know the length of each side of the triangle, you can use the formula h = 2A/b, where A is the area of the triangle and b is the base length of the triangle.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of triangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

4. What units should I use for the heights in the formula?

The units used for the heights in the formula should be the same as the units used for the base length of the triangle. For example, if the base length is measured in meters, the heights should also be measured in meters.

5. Can I use this formula to find the area of a triangle with missing height measurements?

Yes, you can use this formula if you have at least two of the three heights of the triangle. Simply plug in the known heights and solve for the missing height using basic algebra.