Calculate the angle between a refracted wavefront

In summary, the problem involves a wave traveling from medium A to medium B with a ratio of r.i B / r.i A = 1.4. The angle between the incident wavefront and the normal to the boundary is 50 degrees. Using the equation nAsin i = nB sin r, the angle between the refracted wavefront and the normal to the boundary is calculated to be 33.2 degrees. The relation between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction is 90 - the angle between the normal and the wavefront. The angle between the wavefront and the normal in the refracted wave is 62.67 degrees, but the angle of refraction is 27.33 degrees.
Peter G.
A wave is traveling from medium A to medium B. The ratio: r.i B / r.i A = 1.4. The angle between an incident wavefront and the normal to the boundary is 50 degrees. Calculate the angle between a refracted wavefront and the normal to the boundary:

This is what I did:

nAsin i = nB sin r
sin 50 = 1.4 sin r
r = 33.2 degrees

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are defined as the angles the direction of propagation encloses with the normal of the surface.
The problem speaks about the angle between the wavefront and the normal of the boundary. The wavefront is a plane, perpendicular to the direction of propagation. How is related this angle to the angle of incidence?

ehild

Oh, the relation would be 90 - the angle between the normal and the wavefront?

Peter G. said:
Oh, the relation would be 90 - the angle between the normal and the wavefront?

Yes, I think so.

ehild

So this would mean that my angle of refraction between the wavefront and the normal would therefore be:

nAsin i = nB sin r
sin 40 = 1.4 sin r
90-27.33
=62.67 degrees?

The angle between the wavefront and the normal is 62.67 degrees in the refracted wave, but it is not the angle of refraction. The angle of refraction is 27.33°.

ehild

Ok thanks!

Related to Calculate the angle between a refracted wavefront

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle between a refracted wavefront?

The formula for calculating the angle between a refracted wavefront is given by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of the wave in the two media.

2. How do you determine the angle of incidence in a refracted wavefront?

The angle of incidence in a refracted wavefront can be determined by measuring the angle between the incident wave and the normal line drawn to the interface between the two media.

3. Can the angle between a refracted wavefront be negative?

No, the angle between a refracted wavefront cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value with respect to the normal line.

4. What factors can affect the angle between a refracted wavefront?

The angle between a refracted wavefront can be affected by the properties of the two media, such as the refractive indices and the angle of incidence. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How is the angle between a refracted wavefront related to the wavelength of the wave?

The angle between a refracted wavefront is directly related to the wavelength of the wave. As the wavelength decreases, the angle of refraction also decreases, and vice versa.