Calculate the age of the Universe at a temperature

In summary, the homework statement states that the age of the Universe at the time of the Big Bang, T=1 MeV, can be calculated assuming that a(t=0)=0. Homework equations show that H, the energy of the Universe at that temperature, is around 0.6 s-1 MeV. The attempt at a solution uses the Friedmann equation to get t=0.85 s. a is calculated to be 1/2 t^1/2, and H is calculated to be 1/2 t^1.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I've been told to calculate the age of the Universe at [itex]T = 1 \, \text{MeV}[/itex], assuming that [itex]a(t=0)=0[/itex].

Homework Equations

Now, I've already calculated the value of [itex]H[/itex] at that temperature, which was around [itex]H(1\,\text{MeV}) \approx 0.6 \,\text{s}^{-1}[/itex]. I've also shown, that in a radiation dominated Universe, which I assume much be the case at [itex]T = 1 \, \text{MeV}[/itex], that:
[tex]H = \frac{1}{2}t^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, my idea was just to solve for [itex]t[/itex] in that equation, and use the value for [itex]H[/itex] I calculated, and then I end up with [itex]t = 0.85 \, \text{s}[/itex], which seems okay reasonable to me, but, my main question is the info: "assuming that [itex]a(t=0)=0[/itex]". I haven't really used that information here, so either it's just not important, or I have missed something. But what ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot derive ##H = \frac{1}{2}t^{-1}## without that convention. It is needed to define where t=0 is.

Well, I have shown that:

[tex]\rho _R =\rho_{R0}\left(\frac{a_0}{a}\right)^{4}[/tex]

So from the Friedmann equation I get:

\begin{align}
\frac{\dot a^{2}}{a^{2}} &= \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \frac{\rho_{R0}}{a^{4}} \nonumber \\
&\Updownarrow \nonumber \\
\left(a\frac{da}{dt}\right)^{2} &= \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho_{R0} \nonumber \\
a\frac{da}{dt} &= \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho_{R0}} \nonumber \\
a\,da &= \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho_{R0}} \,\, dt \nonumber \\
\int a\, da &= \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho_{R0}} \int dt \nonumber \\
\frac{1}{2} a^{2} &= \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi G}{3}\rho_{R0}} \, t \nonumber \\
a &= \sqrt[4]{\frac{32 \pi G}{3}\rho_{R0}} \, t^{1/2} \nonumber \\
a &\propto t^{1/2}
\end{align}

And from that I, again, can use the Friedmann equation, giving:

\begin{align}
H &= \frac{\dot a}{a} \nonumber \\
H &= \frac{\frac{da}{dt}}{a} \nonumber \\
H &= \frac{1}{t^{1/2}} \frac{d}{dt}t^{1/2} \nonumber \\
&= \frac{1}{t^{1/2}} \left(\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{t^{1/2}}\right) \nonumber \\
&= \frac{1}{2} t^{-1}
\end{align}

That's how I got the other equation.

The step where you perform the integration over dt and over a da should have a free integration constant. Fixing a(t=0)=0 sets this constant to zero.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I follow. How does that help me ?

What do you mean with "help"? You asked where you need the additional information you had, and I answered that question. The result is the same as before, but now with a correct derivation.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sorry for the confusing on my part.
Thank you very much :)

Related to Calculate the age of the Universe at a temperature

1. How is the age of the Universe calculated at a certain temperature?

The age of the Universe can be calculated using various methods such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, the expansion rate of the Universe, and the age of the oldest stars. These methods rely on the relationship between temperature and time in the early stages of the Universe.

2. What temperature is used to calculate the age of the Universe?

The temperature used to calculate the age of the Universe is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is currently at around 2.7 Kelvin. This temperature is a remnant from the early stages of the Universe and is used as a reference point for calculating its age.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the age of the Universe at a certain temperature?

The calculation of the age of the Universe at a certain temperature is estimated to be accurate within a few percentage points. This is due to the limitations of our current understanding of the Universe and the uncertainties in the data used for the calculations. However, as technology and scientific methods improve, the accuracy of these calculations is expected to increase.

4. Can the age of the Universe be calculated at any temperature?

Yes, the age of the Universe can be calculated at any temperature. However, the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the temperature being used. The most accurate calculations are typically done using the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation, as it is a reliable reference point for the early stages of the Universe.

5. How does the age of the Universe at a certain temperature change over time?

As the Universe continues to expand and cool down, the temperature at which its age is calculated also changes. This is because the relationship between temperature and time in the early stages of the Universe is constantly evolving. However, the age of the Universe at a specific temperature is expected to remain relatively constant over time.