Calculate Terminal Voltage with 2 Single Phase Transformers in Parallel

In summary, to calculate the total voltage in a parallel connection of two single-phase transformers, you need to add the individual voltages of each transformer. It is recommended to use transformers with the same voltage to avoid imbalances in the circuit. The formula for calculating the total impedance in a parallel connection is Ztotal = (Z1 x Z2) / (Z1 + Z2). The load does not affect the total voltage, but it is possible to have a voltage drop if there are imbalances or different voltages in the transformers. To minimize voltage drop, it is important to use transformers with the same voltage and balance the circuit.
medwatt
Hello,
Suppose 2 single phase transformers have the following:

T1 T2
Rated Current 200A 600A
Resistance(pu) 0.02 0.025
Reactance(pu) 0.05 0.06
No-Load emf 245V 240V

What is the terminal Voltage when they are connected in parallel and supplied a load impedance of (0.25 + j0.1).

----------------------------------------------
What I've done.
I've calculated the circulating current when there is no load. But I do not know what current will be contributed by the load impedance. What should I do ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Calculate Terminal Voltage with 2 Single Phase Transformers in Parallel

1. How do I calculate the total voltage when two single-phase transformers are connected in parallel?

To calculate the total voltage in a parallel connection, you need to add the individual voltages of each transformer. This is because in a parallel connection, the voltage across each transformer is the same. So, if you have two transformers with voltages of 120V and 240V, the total voltage would be 120V + 240V = 360V.

2. Can I use any two single-phase transformers in parallel or do they need to have the same voltage?

It is recommended to use transformers with the same voltage in parallel to avoid any imbalances in the circuit. However, if the transformers have different voltages, you can still use them in parallel by adding the appropriate impedance in series with the lower voltage transformer to balance the voltage.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total impedance when two single-phase transformers are connected in parallel?

The formula for calculating the total impedance in a parallel connection is Ztotal = (Z1 x Z2) / (Z1 + Z2), where Z1 and Z2 are the individual impedances of each transformer.

4. How does the load affect the total voltage in a parallel connection of two single-phase transformers?

The load does not affect the total voltage in a parallel connection. The voltage across each transformer will remain the same, regardless of the load, as long as the transformers are connected correctly and have the same voltage.

5. Is it possible to have a voltage drop in a parallel connection of two single-phase transformers?

Yes, it is possible to have a voltage drop in a parallel connection of transformers if they have different voltages or if there are imbalances in the circuit. To minimize voltage drop, it is important to use transformers with the same voltage and properly balance the circuit.