Calculate Temp Increase for Enthalpy of Sulfur Burning in Excess O2

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the expected increase in temperature when burning sulfur in excess oxygen inside a calorimeter with a heat capacity of 923 J/K and insulated by 815g of water is incorrect due to the presence of a minus sign on the right-hand side of the equation, which is incorrect for a negative heat of reaction.
MathewsMD

Homework Statement

A sample of sulfur, mass 2.56g, is burned in excess oxygen inside a calorimeter of heat capacity 923 J/K and insulated by 815g of water. If the sole product of combustion is SO2(g), what is the expected increase in temperature?

Homework Equations

q = mcΔT
q = CΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given that the ΔHof = -296.8 kJ/mol for SO2(g) and the enthalpy of formation of oxygen gas and sulfur is 0.

S(s) + O2(g) → SO2(g)

So, I did:

(1g / 32.06 g/mol)(-296.8 kJ/mol) = - [(4.184 g/molK)(815g)ΔT + (923 J/K)(ΔT)]

After isolating for ΔT and converting units to J, i found my answer as 2.136 K but this is incorrect. Any comments on where I went wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

Homework Statement

A sample of sulfur, mass 2.56g, is burned in excess oxygen inside a calorimeter of heat capacity 923 J/K and insulated by 815g of water. If the sole product of combustion is SO2(g), what is the expected increase in temperature?

Homework Equations

q = mcΔT
q = CΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given that the ΔHof = -296.8 kJ/mol for SO2(g) and the enthalpy of formation of oxygen gas and sulfur is 0.

S(s) + O2(g) → SO2(g)

So, I did:

(1g / 32.06 g/mol)(-296.8 kJ/mol) = - [(4.184 g/molK)(815g)ΔT + (923 J/K)(ΔT)]

After isolating for ΔT and converting units to J, i found my answer as 2.136 K but this is incorrect. Any comments on where I went wrong? Thanks!
A negative heat of reaction means that, to maintain the temperature constant at the initial temperature, you need to remove heat. So the reaction gives off 296.8 kJ/mol. So the temperature in your calorimeter has to rise. There shouldn't be a minus sign on the rhs.

Related to Calculate Temp Increase for Enthalpy of Sulfur Burning in Excess O2

What is the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen?

The enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen refers to the change in heat energy that occurs when sulfur reacts with excess oxygen to form sulfur dioxide. This change in heat energy is measured in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

How do you calculate the temperature increase for the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen?

To calculate the temperature increase, you will need to use the formula: ΔT = ΔH/(mc), where ΔT is the temperature change, ΔH is the enthalpy change, m is the mass of the substance, and c is the specific heat capacity.

Why is excess oxygen needed for the burning of sulfur?

Excess oxygen is needed for the burning of sulfur because sulfur is an element that needs a large amount of oxygen to react with it completely. Burning sulfur in excess oxygen ensures that all of the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which is a more stable and less toxic compound.

What is the significance of calculating the temperature increase for the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen?

Calculating the temperature increase for the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen allows scientists to understand the amount of heat energy released during this reaction. This information can be used in various industries, such as fuel production and power generation, to optimize processes and improve efficiency.

Are there any safety concerns when conducting experiments involving the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen?

Yes, there are safety concerns when conducting experiments involving the enthalpy of sulfur burning in excess oxygen. Sulfur dioxide is a toxic gas, and proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should be taken to avoid any harm to individuals conducting the experiment.