Calculate Star Radii: Mass, Luminosity & Temp

• Thread starter Magister
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, a main sequence star's mass, luminosity, and effective temperature can be used to calculate its radius using the formula R = M^{0.8}. This formula is based on a hydrostatic model of the star's interior and has been empirically verified. However, it is only an approximation and the relationship between radius and mass is not exact. This can be further understood by considering the potential energy needed to balance the pressure caused by nuclear energy in the star's core.
Magister
Is it possible to calculate the radii of a star knowing its mass, luminosity and effective temperature?
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Magister said:
Is it possible to calculate the radii of a star knowing its mass, luminosity and effective temperature?
Thanks

try this
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/M/mass-radius_relation.html

The answer to your question is yes, if it is a "main sequence" star.

Most of the stars we see are main sequence, in fact. It is basically just a technical term for the set of normal usual stars.
After a star forms and settles down to steadily fusing hydrogen then it becomes an ordinary (main sequence) star until later in life when it has used up a lot of the hydrogen in its core----later in life it can LEAVE the main sequence and start acting weird, becoming a red giant and such. Even later it might become a white dwarf or neutron start, they aren't part of the main sequence either.

So if you just look at ORDINARY stable hydrogen-fueled stars during their normal lifetime, then the answer is YES you can relate radius to mass, and mass to luminosity, and so on.

and DavidDarling at his website gives a simple approximate relation for relating mass to radius.

the formula he gives is expressed in solar units and says R = M0.8
in other words the radius is almost proportional to the mass. If you have a star with about half the mass of the sun, then it will have a radius which is about half the radius of the sun. (not exactly, because the exponent is 0.8 instead of exactly one)

Last edited:
Uoh! :confused:
Do you have any idea where this formula cames from?

[tex]
R=M^{0.8}
[/tex]

Magister said:
Do you have any idea where this formula cames from?

[tex]
R=M^{0.8}
[/tex]

IIRC I first met the mass-radius relation in an astronomy textbook by Frank Shu, where it was explained in some detail. It is an old-but-good textbook going back to the 1980s. I will get the name. The title is something like "The Physical Universe"

yeah, here is the amazon page for it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935702059/?tag=pfamazon01-20

the formula is based on a hydrostatic model of the insides of a star, the model has been checked empirically, so we know it fits.
if all stars were the same density, then you would expect that the mass would go as the CUBE of the radius
so then R = M^{0.333}
but evidently they aren't all the same density. As you add mass the pressure in the core increases and fusion occurs faster and it gets hotter and this may cause expansion making the more massive stars less dense. I should go upstairs and check my old textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this:
From their mass I can know the nuclear energy, assuming that the the star is all made from hydrogen and knowing the percentage of the mass that would be converted to energy in forming helium. From that, assuming that the star is in equilibrium (not expanding), I can get the potential energy, due to gravity, that is needed to balance the pressure caused by the nuclear energy. From the potential energy I can get the radiis of the star. Am I wrong?

PS
The answer to your question is yes, if it is a "main sequence" star.

Yes, I am talking about a main sequence star.

Edit: Thanks for the book recommendation

Magister said:
Edit: Thanks for the book recommendation

Magister, I actually can't recommend that book now because it is an old book (1982) but I liked it a whole lot back when i read it.

I wish I could recommend a recent textbook! there is a lot of new information.
I also would like to be able to recommend something online, that you don't have to buy or go find at the library.

I think it is better to say radius is roughly proportional to mass

DavidDarling's formula is only approximate and it looks too precise with his exponent of 0.8

maybe it would be better to say simply
R~M

:wink:
Thanks any way.

What about the above idea? Am I non sense?

No I think that's pretty much how stellar hydrodynamics works - and you can usually treat the star as a 1d column of gas.

Related to Calculate Star Radii: Mass, Luminosity & Temp

1. How do I calculate the radius of a star?

To calculate the radius of a star, you will need to know its mass, luminosity, and temperature. You can use the equation R = √(L/4πσT4), where R is the radius, L is the luminosity, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

2. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant?

The Stefan-Boltzmann constant (σ) is a physical constant that relates the temperature of an object to its thermal radiation. Its value is approximately 5.67 x 10-8 W/m2K4.

3. How do I measure the mass of a star?

To measure the mass of a star, you can use the equation M = (4πR2σT4)/L, where M is the mass, R is the radius, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. You can also use observational techniques such as radial velocity or gravitational lensing to estimate the mass of a star.

4. Can I calculate the radius of a star using only its luminosity and temperature?

Yes, you can calculate the radius of a star using only its luminosity and temperature. However, this method assumes that the star is a perfect blackbody radiator, which may not be the case for all stars. It is recommended to also use the star's mass when calculating its radius for a more accurate result.

5. How do I convert between different units when calculating star radii?

When calculating star radii, you may need to convert between different units such as meters, kilometers, and solar radii. To do this, you can use conversion factors such as 1 solar radius = 6.957 x 108 meters, or 1 meter = 1.057 x 10-9 solar radii. Make sure to keep track of units and use consistent units throughout your calculations.