Calculate SRIM Layer Width Using Mica & Dry Air

• I
  • Thread starter Nouki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, to calculate the width of the mica layer, you will need to use the stopping range of the alpha particles in the mica layer and the known range of the alpha particles in air. This can be done using the formula: Thickness of mica layer = Range in air - Stopping range in mica. Make sure to use the correct value for the stopping range based on the energy of the alpha particles.
Nouki
Hello, I'm trying to calculate the width of a layer using SRIM. I have one layer with dry air and one with mica. I know the width of air and the ranges of a-particles shown in the photo https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ashraf_Almahwasi/publication/311666631/figure/fig5/AS:439633088651266@1481828104140/Alpha-particle-absorption-curve-The-mean-range-is-the-range-that-corresponds-to-the.ppm and I'm trying to find the thickness of the thin mica window.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help?

Sure, I'd be happy to help. To calculate the width of the mica layer, you will need to use the stopping range of the alpha particles in the mica layer and the known range of the alpha particles in air. The stopping range is the distance an alpha particle travels before it loses all of its energy. This can be found in the SRIM program by inputting the material properties of mica and the energy of the alpha particles.

Once you have the stopping range of the alpha particles in mica, you can use the known range in air to determine the thickness of the mica layer. This can be done using the following formula:

Thickness of mica layer = Range in air - Stopping range in mica

By plugging in the values you have, you should be able to calculate the thickness of the mica layer. It's also important to note that the stopping range can vary depending on the energy of the alpha particles, so make sure you are using the correct value for your specific experiment.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculate SRIM Layer Width Using Mica & Dry Air

1. What is SRIM?

SRIM stands for Stopping and Range of Ions in Matter. It is a computer program used to calculate the interactions between energetic ions and matter.

2. How does SRIM calculate layer width?

SRIM uses the Monte Carlo simulation method to calculate the energy loss and range of ions in a material. By inputting the properties of the material, such as mica and dry air, SRIM can calculate the width of the layer created by the ions.

3. What is the role of mica and dry air in the calculation?

Mica and dry air are used to represent the material being bombarded by the ions. The properties of these materials, such as density and stopping power, are used by SRIM to accurately calculate the layer width.

4. How accurate is the calculation of layer width using SRIM?

The accuracy of SRIM depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and the complexity of the ion-matter interactions. In general, SRIM has been found to have an accuracy of within 5-10% compared to experimental data.

5. Can SRIM be used for any type of material?

No, SRIM is primarily designed for use with solid materials and may not be accurate for liquids or gases. Additionally, SRIM may not be suitable for materials with complex structures or non-uniform compositions.