Calculate Spring Constant: 58.7N & 88.1N Weights

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the spring constant of an elastic cord. By using Hooke's Law and the equilibrium values of the cord's length and weight, the spring constant can be calculated.
Naldo6
An elastic cord is 67.7 cm long when a weight of 58.7 N hangs from it and is 85.8 cm long when a weight of 88.1 N hangs froms it. What is te spring constant of this elastic cord?

how i know which is the long of the spring when it is in equilibrium to then calculate the sprin constant?...

or anyother help to solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello once again,

A review of Hooke's Law will reveal that the k, the spring constant, is a constant of proportionality. This means that F_1/x_1 = F_2/x_2 where x is the extension of the spring. Does this shed any light?

Regards,
Horatio

ok but if i do that what i can get:

because

58.7 N / .677 m = 88.1 N / .858 m

and that doesn't help me too much... because i don't know the distance of the spring when it is at equilibrium

how i know what is the extension of the spring?...

Naldo6 said:
ok but if i do that what i can get:

because

and that doesn't help me too much... because i don't know the distance of the spring when it is at equilibrium

That's not exactly true. Remember, x is the extension of the spring, not the length of the spring. So, if we let the equilibrium value be l , the extension in one case is (0.677 - l). Does that clear things up?

ok i know that x is the value of the extension of the spring but how i know whta is the extension of the spirng when is at equilibrium to then calculate the extension from the diferencies of my value sof x with the equilibrium distance?...

Naldo6 said:

Since the extension x = (length of spring with load - length of spring at equil.):

The eqn shld be:

58.7 / (0.677 - l) = 88.1/ (0.858 - l)

where l is the equil. length, solve for l, with is simple algebraic manipulation...

Last edited:
edited the eqn, sorry, made a typo

ok let me try and tell u...

solving for l y get 0.316... then i use F=kx solve for k and get

k= F/x = 58.7/(0.677-0.316)=162.60 is this right?

Yes, your answer agrees with my calculated answer.

ok many thanks...

Related to Calculate Spring Constant: 58.7N & 88.1N Weights

1. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The formula for calculating spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. What are the units of spring constant?

Spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in).

3. Why are there two different weights given for the calculation?

The two different weights, 58.7N and 88.1N, represent the different forces applied to the spring at two different points in time. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the spring constant.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the length of the spring, and the amount of force applied to the spring.

5. What is the significance of calculating the spring constant?

The spring constant is an important value in physics as it relates to Hooke's Law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. It is also used in various applications such as in designing springs for mechanical devices.