Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the speed of a hawk's shadow on level ground when the hawk is diving at a constant velocity of 4.15 m/s at an angle of 54.5° below the horizontal. The solution involves using the equations vxi=vicosθ and vyi=visinθ and converting to radians before solving.
madinsane
When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant velocity of 4.15 m/s at 54.5° below the horizontal. Calculate the speed of her shadow on the level ground.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

vxi=vicosθ vyi=visinθ (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

360-54.5=305.5
4.15cos305.5=-2.99i
4.15sin305.5=-2.88j
then get the modulus of the vector for the speed. Gave me 4.155
Its wrong though?
Help?
Tell me where I went wrong and where to begin
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Where is the original question?

Ericv_91 said:
Where is the original question?

oops sorry!

Is your calculator in radians or degrees?

ericv_91 said:
is your calculator in radians or degrees?

it was on radians! Thank you! I got the right answer!

Careful Careful... Make sure you never forget this during a test!

Related to Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground

What is the "Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground" experiment?

The "Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground" experiment is a scientific investigation in which the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground is measured and calculated. This experiment can provide insight into the flight patterns and behavior of hawks.

Why is it important to calculate the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground?

Calculating the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground can provide valuable information about the flight patterns and behavior of hawks. It can also help scientists better understand the physical capabilities of these birds and how they interact with their environment.

What materials are needed to conduct the "Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground" experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a stopwatch or timer, a measuring tape or ruler, a hawk or a hawk-shaped object, a sunny day, and a flat, open area with unobstructed sunlight.

What are the steps to calculate the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground?

The steps to calculate the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground are as follows:

1. Choose a sunny day and a flat, open area with unobstructed sunlight.
  2. Place the measuring tape or ruler on the ground and measure a distance of at least 20 feet.
  3. Position yourself at one end of the measured distance and have a partner hold the hawk or hawk-shaped object at the other end.
  4. Start the stopwatch or timer when the hawk's shadow touches the starting point and stop it when the shadow reaches the end point.
  5. Divide the distance by the time to calculate the speed of the hawk's shadow on the ground.

What are the potential sources of error in the "Calculate Speed of Hawk's Shadow on Ground" experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the sunlight intensity and angle, human error in timing, and the possibility of the hawk or hawk-shaped object altering its flight pattern due to the presence of humans.