Calculate Si cohesive energy using VASP

• Thread starter elsafo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Si
In summary, to calculate the cohesive energy of a system in VASP, you must perform two separate calculations - one for the system and one for a single atom. By subtracting the energy of the single atom from the system, and dividing by the number of atoms, you can determine the cohesive energy of each atom. However, this method may not always be accurate.
elsafo
Hello, actually I am a newbie in solid state physics computational and I am starting using VASP.

I am practicing to do calculation with bulk Si. I want to calculate the cohesive energy of Si. As I know that cohesive energy equals to the difference between bulk energy/atom and single atom energy. I have calculated the bulk energy of fcc Si (2 atom/unit cell). Now, my problem is calculating the single atom energy. How to calculate the single atom energy? I tried to manipulate the POSCAR input with large size of lattice parameter and change the number of atom to 1, then change the KPOINTS to 1*1*1, however I didn't get appropriate value same with reference. Am I missing some procedure?

Please kindly to help me ^^

In order to calculate the cohesive energy of the system you must do two separate calculations in VASP. The first is the system that you are trying to find the cohesive energy of the atoms, the second is a system with just the lone atom. With both those energies (should be in eV) you can take the energy of the first system and subtract the energies of all the atoms in the system, and if all of the atoms are the same element you can divide this answer by the number of atoms in the first system to determine the cohesive energy of each atom. In your case E(2Si) - 2*E(Si) and that is the overall cohesive energy, then divide it by two to get individual energy. I realize it is probably a little bit late to help your case elsafo but hopefully this can help someone else.

Likes TaraB

Related to Calculate Si cohesive energy using VASP

1. What is VASP?

VASP stands for Vienna Ab initio Simulation Package. It is a computer program used for calculating electronic structures of solids and molecules using quantum mechanics principles.

2. How does VASP calculate Si cohesive energy?

VASP uses density functional theory (DFT) to calculate the total energy of a system. The cohesive energy of Si is calculated by subtracting the total energy of a single Si atom from the total energy of a Si crystal structure.

3. What are the inputs required to calculate Si cohesive energy using VASP?

The inputs required include the atomic coordinates of Si crystal structure, the pseudopotential file for Si, and the INCAR file which contains the calculation parameters such as the electronic convergence criteria and k-point grid.

4. What is the unit of cohesive energy calculated by VASP?

The cohesive energy calculated by VASP is typically given in units of electron volts (eV) per atom.

5. Can VASP calculate cohesive energy for other materials besides Si?

Yes, VASP can calculate cohesive energy for a wide range of materials including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. However, the input parameters and calculation settings may need to be adjusted accordingly for different materials.