Calculate resistivity of the material of the wire

In summary, the resistivity of the material of the wire can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current, which in this case equals 2Ω. Using the equation R = \frac{Pl}{A}, the value of P can be found by multiplying the known values of voltage, length, and area, and then dividing by the resistance calculated earlier. The resulting value of P is 1 \times 10^{-7} \Omega{m}.
looi76
[SOLVED] Calculate resistivity of the material of the wire

Question:
[tex]0.75A[/tex] Current flows through an iron wire when a battery of [tex]1.5V[/tex] us connected across its ends. The length of the wire is [tex]5m[/tex] and Area is [tex]2.5 \times 10^{-7} m^2[/tex]. Calculate resistivity of the material of the wire.

Equation:
[tex]R = \frac{Pl}{A}[/tex]

Attempt:
[tex]I = 0.75A \ , \ V = 1.5V \ , \ l = 5m \ , \ A = 2.5 \times 10^{-7} m^2[/tex]

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

[tex]P = 0.75 \times 1.5[/tex]

[tex]P = 1.125[/tex]

[tex]R = \frac{1.125 \times 5}{2.5 \times 10^{-7}}[/tex]

[tex]R = 2.3 \times 10^7[/tex]

Is my answer correct?
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have your P's mixed up :rolleyes:

The P here represents the resistivity of the material
looi76 said:
Whereas the P here represents the power dissapated by the wire.
looi76 said:
[tex]P = IV[/tex]

Thanks Hootenanny!

[tex]I = 0.75A \ , \ V = 1.5V \ , \ l = 5m \ , \ A = 2.5 \times 10^{-7} m^2[/tex]

[tex]R = \frac{V}{I} = \frac{1.5}{0.75} = 2\Omega[/tex]

[tex]2\Omega = \frac{P \times 5}{2.5 \times 10^7 \Omega{m}}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{2 \times 2.5 \times 10^{-7}}{5}[/tex]

[tex]P = 1 \times 10^{-7} \Omega{m}[/tex]

is this correct?:rolleyes:

looi76 said:
Thanks Hootenanny!

[tex]R = \frac{V}{I} = \frac{1.5}{0.75} = 2\Omega[/tex]

[tex]2\Omega = \frac{P \times 5}{2.5 \times 10^7 \Omega{m}}[/tex]

[tex]P = \frac{2 \times 2.5 \times 10^{-7}}{5}[/tex]

[tex]P = 1 \times 10^{-7} \Omega{m}[/tex]

is this correct?:rolleyes:
That's what I get :approve:

Related to Calculate resistivity of the material of the wire

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electricity. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

2. How is resistivity calculated?

Resistivity is calculated by dividing the resistance of a material (measured in ohms) by its cross-sectional area (measured in square meters) and multiplying by its length (measured in meters). The formula is ρ = R * A / L.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and physical structure. Materials with more free electrons (such as metals) have lower resistivity, while materials with fewer free electrons (such as insulators) have higher resistivity. Higher temperatures also increase resistivity, and impurities or defects in the material can also affect its resistivity.

4. Why is calculating resistivity important?

Calculating resistivity is important because it allows us to understand how a material will behave when an electrical current is applied. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing electrical circuits and devices, as well as in analyzing the performance and efficiency of materials.

5. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called a four-point probe. This instrument applies a known current to a material and measures the voltage drop across a specified distance. The four-point probe method is more accurate than traditional resistance measurements because it eliminates the effects of contact resistance between the material and the measuring device.