Calculate pressure on surface moving in water

In summary: I cannot seem to get the equation to work. I have tried different values for ρv2 and Patm but nothing seems to work.I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get the equation to work. I have tried different values for ρv2 and Patm but nothing seems to work.Could you please post the equation you are using to solve for ρv2?I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get the equation to work. I have tried different values for ρv2 and Patm but nothing seems to work.could you please post the equation you are using to solve for ρv2?
brentch
Hello bright minds,

I have a practical problem for which I need help solving, and I'm sure someone could help.

I am wanting to place a pick up (sort of a backwards facing venturi type structure) under my kayak to fill up and supply a box with fresh water for my live baits. I would like to know how one would calculate the required velocities of the kayak (if possible, including friction in pipes) to be able to overcome the head height (about 20cm max) to fill my box. Please see my simple diagram for a visual description of what I am trying to do.

Attachments

• live bait box.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
hi brentch

welcome to PF :smile:

cant help you with your specific problem, hopefully some one can. but just as a guide for future posts
It's better to post an image directly, rather than making people have to open another document :smile:

upload_2016-10-4_9-5-22.png

cheers
Dave

Likes brentch
davenn said:
hi brentch

welcome to PF :smile:

cant help you with your specific problem, hopefully some one can. but just as a guide for future posts
It's better to post an image directly, rather than making people have to open another document :smile:

View attachment 106891
cheers
Dave

Thanks for the help Dave!

I'll post the pics directly next time.

Likes davenn
Use
Bernoulli's principle

Bernoulli-Formula.png

but it has no consideration towards effects like viscosity, friction in pipes

i think , u can considerably lessen the severity if these effects by
upload_2016-10-5_13-58-47.png

making the tube less steep, as shown by thick black line(pointed by red arrow)

this will lead the incoming liquid to the container without much Deterrence(and water flow will be less chaotic)
Bernoulli-Formula.png

so now use this equation , with following considerations- pressure at head end is Patm, pressure at the tail end is ρv2**,velocity at the tail(other end of the tube- thick black line) to be v (velocity of the boat), h as height of the head from the water level around the kayak (asuming elevation at the tail end to be zero)

Likes brentch
Shreyas Samudra said:
i think this is right,
PF members your views ??

Could you view the image ?

Shreyas Samudra said:
Could you view the image ?
Hey Shreyas, apologies for the very late reply. Unfortunately I am unable to view the image...

This sounds like a case better suited to experiment because of complications like friction and viscosity.

Strap a tube with the proposed length and angle to the side of your kayak and try it out. You can see visually how much flow comes out the high end of the tube.

anorlunda said:
This sounds like a case better suited to experiment because of complications like friction and viscosity.

Strap a tube with the proposed length and angle to the side of your kayak and try it out. You can see visually how much flow comes out the high end of the tube.

I am wanting reply for the above post

Shreyas Samudra said:
See the file -finding pressure at the tail end is ρv2

See this

Shreyas Samudra said:
See this
Aha! I can view it now, thank you so much for the effort of using and solving the equation. I will play with it this weekend and see what I come up with. And to Anorlunda, yes, I will also get to try out the pipe strapped to the side of the boat this week!

Thanks for all the help, clever people! I'll post some photo's of the unit if I manage to get it to work.

Have a great weekend.

Likes person_random_normal
That's great

But
anyone PF member -
is it that I have missed something while getting the pressure
"finding pressure at the tail end"

Shreyas Samudra said:
That's great

Very eager to see your manoeuvre

brentch said:
Aha! I can view it now, thank you so much for the effort of using and solving the equation. I will play with it this weekend and see what I come up with. And to Anorlunda, yes, I will also get to try out the pipe strapped to the side of the boat this week!

Thanks for all the help, clever people! I'll post some photo's of the unit if I manage to get it to work.

Have a great weekend.

Hey
What happened ??

Related to Calculate pressure on surface moving in water

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure on a surface moving in water?

The formula for calculating pressure on a surface moving in water is P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the surface.

2. How does the velocity of the surface affect the pressure on it?

The velocity of the surface does not directly affect the pressure on it. However, it can indirectly affect the pressure by creating a force due to the change in momentum, which can then affect the pressure.

3. How does the depth of the surface affect the pressure on it?

The depth of the surface has a direct effect on the pressure on it. As the depth increases, the weight of the water above also increases, resulting in a higher pressure on the surface.

4. Can the shape of the surface affect the pressure on it?

Yes, the shape of the surface can affect the pressure on it. A curved surface, such as a sphere or a cylinder, will experience a different pressure distribution compared to a flat surface.

5. Is there a limit to the pressure that a surface can experience while moving in water?

Yes, there is a limit to the pressure that a surface can experience while moving in water. This is known as the hydrostatic pressure limit, which is determined by the depth and density of the water as well as the acceleration due to gravity.