Calculate Pressure Needed to Move Grease

• I
  • Thread starter Tritkoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the column of white lithium grease is pushed against a sensor that reads pressure. It would require a pressure of around 2,500 psi to overcome the friction and move the grease.
Tritkoss
Good day. My question is as follows, I have a column of white lithium grease 1/4” diameter 24’ long. I want to figure out the pressure needed to move this column of grease. I am having a hard time to find the right formula to calculate this so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tritkoss said:
Good day. My question is as follows, I have a column of white lithium grease 1/4” diameter 24’ long. I want to figure out the pressure needed to move this column of grease. I am having a hard time to find the right formula to calculate this so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
What factors have you identified that will have an effect on the answer?

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
What factors have you identified that will have an effect on the answer?
I’m not sure what you mean? I’m guessing the friction along the walls of the column and sticky ness of the grease would come into play.

Tritkoss said:
I’m not sure what you mean? I’m guessing the friction along the walls of the column and sticky ness of the grease would come into play.
So you figure the mass of it is irrelevant?

Is the stuff thixotropic ? ie, when it starts to move, will the core blow out, leaving a significant layer stuck to the tube wall ?

Also, temperature / viscosity variations. Ambient temperature is one factor. Another may be frictional heating...

@Tritkoss we have touched on, but not completed, the list of things you will need to know. Do you begin to get the idea that it's not going to be a simple formula? It may well be that many of the possible factors are negligible, but you have to figure that out after you have a complete list.

phinds said:
@Tritkoss we have touched on, but not completed, the list of things you will need to know. Do you begin to get the idea that it's not going to be a simple formula? It may well be that many of the possible factors are negligible, but you have to figure that out after you have a complete list.
Yes I know it’s not a simple formula if you take into account all the possible variables, I was just looking for some help in the right direction. The column of grease is pushed on by fluid ranging in temp from 2degC to 25degC. It does not flow through but pushes up against a sensor that reads pressure. I am wondering how much pressure it would take to overcome the friction holding the grease stationary. It is most likely negligible but it would help me explain certain pressure readings to people I work for.

Related to Calculate Pressure Needed to Move Grease

1. How do you calculate the pressure needed to move grease?

The pressure needed to move grease can be calculated using the following formula: Pressure = Force / Area. This means that the pressure required is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the area over which the force is applied.

2. What factors determine the pressure needed to move grease?

The pressure needed to move grease depends on the viscosity of the grease, the size of the grease particles, and the distance the grease needs to be moved. The type of equipment used and the desired flow rate also play a role in determining the pressure required.

3. How does the viscosity of grease affect the pressure needed to move it?

The higher the viscosity of grease, the more pressure is required to move it. This is because more force is needed to overcome the internal friction of the grease and move it through the system.

4. What is the role of equipment design in determining the pressure needed to move grease?

The design of the equipment used to move grease can have a significant impact on the pressure needed. For example, a pump with a larger diameter will require less pressure to move the same amount of grease compared to a pump with a smaller diameter. Similarly, different types of pumps (e.g. gear pumps, piston pumps) will have different pressure requirements.

5. Can the pressure needed to move grease be too high?

Yes, the pressure needed to move grease can be too high. Excessively high pressure can damage equipment, cause leaks, and even create safety hazards. It is important to carefully calculate the required pressure and ensure that the equipment is capable of handling it before attempting to move grease.