Calculate Pressure at Equilibrium: Thermodynamics Problem

In summary: P_total = P_air + P_propaneIn summary, to calculate the pressure at equilibrium in a closed system with constant temperature and volume, you will need to use the ideal gas law to determine the total moles of the system. Then, using the ratio of moles, you can calculate the partial pressures of each gas and sum them up to get the total pressure. In this specific scenario, the total pressure is 1.85 atm.
mandangalo
I am trying to calculate the pressure once a closed system reaches equilibrium at constant temperature and volume. I am to start with a tank filled with 1000L of at air 20oC and 1 atm. It is then filled with 900L propane at the same temperature without venting. Assuming the air doesn't dissolve into the liquid propane, what is the pressure at equilibrium.

I thought this was a case of figuring out what the partial pressure of the air is once the liquid propane has been added. However, once equilibrium is reached the total volume for the vapor phase is going to be greater than 100L. This is where my issue lies: How do I know how much of the propane is going into the vapor phase? Once I know how to calculate that I should be able to find out each partial pressure and sum them up to get the total pressure (unless my ideas behind that are wrong too).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 1.85 atm. To calculate the pressure, you will need to calculate the total moles of the system (the air and the propane). The total moles of the system can be calculated using the ideal gas law: n = PV/RT Where n = total moles, P = pressure, V = volume, R = universal gas constant, and T = temperature. For the air, you can calculate the moles using the initial conditions: n_air = (1 atm)(1000 L)/(0.08206 L*atm/mole*K)(293 K) = 37.6 moles For the propane, you can use the same equation, but now you have 900L of propane at the same temperature, so the moles of propane is: n_propane = (1 atm)(900 L)/(0.08206 L*atm/mole*K)(293 K) = 33.8 moles Now that you have the total moles of air and propane, you can calculate the partial pressures of each gas using the ideal gas law. The total pressure of the system is equal to the sum of the partial pressures: P_total = P_air + P_propane To calculate the partial pressures, you will need to know the ratio of moles of each gas. The ratio of moles is equal to the ratio of the volumes of each gas, since the temperature and pressure are the same for both gases. So the ratio of moles is equal to: n_air/n_propane = 1000 L/900 L = 1.11 Therefore, the partial pressure of the air is equal to 1.11 times the total pressure, and the partial pressure of the propane is equal to the total pressure minus the partial pressure of the air. So, the partial pressure of the air is: P_air = (1.11)(P_total) And the partial pressure of the propane is: P_propane = P_total - P_air Now that you have the partial pressures, you can calculate the total pressure of the system. The total pressure is

Related to Calculate Pressure at Equilibrium: Thermodynamics Problem

1. How do you calculate the pressure at equilibrium in a thermodynamics problem?

The pressure at equilibrium can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is equal to the number of moles of gas multiplied by the universal gas constant, and divided by the volume of the container. In a thermodynamics problem, the ideal gas law can be applied to both the reactants and products in order to determine the pressure at equilibrium.

2. What factors affect the pressure at equilibrium in a thermodynamics problem?

The pressure at equilibrium is affected by several factors, including the temperature, volume, and number of moles of gas present. Changes in any of these variables can alter the pressure at equilibrium and shift the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction.

3. How do you know if the pressure at equilibrium has shifted?

The pressure at equilibrium can be measured by conducting experiments and observing the changes in the pressure over time. If the pressure remains constant, then the system is at equilibrium. However, if the pressure changes, it is an indication that the equilibrium has shifted.

4. Can the pressure at equilibrium be manipulated?

Yes, the pressure at equilibrium can be manipulated by changing the temperature, volume, or number of moles of gas present in the system. This can be done by adjusting the conditions of the reaction, such as adding or removing a reactant or product, or changing the temperature or pressure of the environment.

5. How does the pressure at equilibrium relate to the other thermodynamic properties?

The pressure at equilibrium is one of the key thermodynamic properties that is used to describe the state of a system. It is related to other properties, such as temperature, volume, and energy, through various thermodynamic equations, such as the ideal gas law and the van der Waals equation. Understanding the relationship between these properties is essential in solving thermodynamics problems.