Calculate ppm of NH4+ in (NH4)2SO4 Solution

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the ppm of NH4+ in a solution that was prepared by dissolving 0.475g of (NH4)2SO4 in enough distilled water to make 2.0 dm3. The solution is made up of 7.197*10^-3 NH4+ ions and has a concentration of 3.598*10^-3 moldm-3, which is equivalent to 475 ppm. The conversation also includes a question about the correctness of the calculations, which was answered affirmatively.
elemis

Homework Statement

A solution is prepared by dissolving 0.475g of (NH4)2SO4 in enough of distilled water and the solution is made up to 2.0 dm3

Calculate the ppm of

NH4+

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(NH4)2SO4 -----> 2NH4+ + SO42-

0.475/132 = 3.598 *10^-3 moles of Ammonium Sulphate

2*[3.598 *10^-3] = 7.197*10^-3 NH4+ ions

Since concentration = no. of moles / volume

c = 7.197*10^-3 / 2 = 3.598*10^-3 moldm-3

Converting moldm-3 to gdm-3 gives : 0.475 gdm-3

Converting gdm-3 to milligrams per dm3

we get 475 mgdm-3 or 475 ppm

Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK.

Borek said:
Looks OK.

Are you the same Borek who's on the Chemicalforums ?

Borek said:
Looks OK.

Is that an assertive yes or a subtle message that I have made a mistake.

Yes and yes :-p

Borek said:
Yes and yes :-p

I knew I'd seen you somewhere else.

Yes my calculations are right or yes it was a subtle message that I made a mistake ?

Yes.

Your result is OK.

Related to Calculate ppm of NH4+ in (NH4)2SO4 Solution

1. How do you calculate the ppm of NH4+ in a (NH4)2SO4 solution?

To calculate the ppm of NH4+ in a (NH4)2SO4 solution, you will need to know the molar mass of NH4+ and the concentration (in mol/L) of (NH4)2SO4. The formula for calculating ppm is (mass of solute/mass of solution) x 10^6. So, you will first need to convert the concentration of (NH4)2SO4 to moles per liter, and then multiply it by the molar mass of NH4+. This will give you the mass of NH4+ in the solution. Then, you can plug that mass into the ppm formula to get your final result.

2. What is the molar mass of NH4+?

The molar mass of NH4+ is approximately 18.04 g/mol. This can vary slightly depending on the isotopes present in the nitrogen and hydrogen atoms, but for most purposes, 18.04 g/mol is an accurate enough value to use in calculations.

3. How do you convert the concentration of (NH4)2SO4 to moles per liter?

To convert the concentration of (NH4)2SO4 to moles per liter, you will need to know the molar mass of (NH4)2SO4. Then, you can use the formula concentration (in mol/L) = mass (in g) / molar mass (in g/mol). So, if you have the mass of (NH4)2SO4 in grams and the molar mass in g/mol, you can easily calculate the concentration in mol/L.

4. Can you use any other units besides grams and moles in the ppm calculation?

The ppm calculation can be used with any units of mass and volume, as long as they are consistent. For example, you could use milligrams and milliliters instead of grams and liters. Just make sure to use the same units for both the mass of solute and the mass of solution.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the ppm of NH4+ in a (NH4)2SO4 solution?

Calculating the ppm of NH4+ in a (NH4)2SO4 solution can be useful for determining the concentration of NH4+ in a solution, as well as for quality control purposes. It can also be used to compare different solutions and determine which one has a higher concentration of NH4+.