Calculate Posterior p.f. from Poisson Distribution

In summary, the Poisson Distribution is a probability distribution used to model the number of times an event occurs in a specified time period or space. A Posterior p.f. is a probability distribution that is updated with new information using Bayes' Theorem. To calculate it from the Poisson Distribution, you need to know the prior distribution, the likelihood function, and the normalization constant. Real-world applications of this calculation include estimating sales, bacterial counts, and disease spread.
Throwback

Homework Statement

Suppose that the number of defects on a roll of magnetic recording tape has a Poisson distribution for which the mean λ is either 1.0 or 1.5, and the prior of λ is the following:

L(1.0)=0.4 and L(1.5)=0.6

If the roll of tape selected at random is found to have 3 defects, what is the posterior p.f. of λ?

Homework Equations

p(x|λ) = [e^(-λ)]*(λ^x)/x!

L(1.0|X=3) α f(x|λ)L(λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is all I have to do: (1) calculate the probability of X=3 with parameter λ=1 for a poisson distribution and then multiply this by 0.4. Then do the same thing for λ=1.5 and a prior of 0.6. Right?

So .4*(1/e)*(1/3!)=0.0245253 and .6*(e^(-1.5))*(1.5^3)/3!=0.0753064

According to the answers from the book, this is wrong.

I know the likelihood for the poisson distribution above is

e^(-nμ)*μ^(Ʃx)/(x1!*...*xn!)

but I don't think I have to calculate this the same way I'd calculate the posterior using a gamma distribution, for example.

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach to calculating the posterior probability of λ is correct. However, there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, the likelihood function for a Poisson distribution is:

p(x|λ) = (e^(-λ))*(λ^x)/x!

Therefore, for λ=1, the probability of X=3 is:

p(x=3|λ=1) = (e^(-1))*(1^3)/3! = 0.0613132

Similarly, for λ=1.5, the probability of X=3 is:

p(x=3|λ=1.5) = (e^(-1.5))*(1.5^3)/3! = 0.1255107

Now, to calculate the posterior probability, we multiply these probabilities by their respective prior probabilities, as you correctly stated. Therefore, the posterior probability for λ=1 is:

P(λ=1|X=3) = p(x=3|λ=1)*L(λ=1) = 0.0613132*0.4 = 0.0245253

And the posterior probability for λ=1.5 is:

P(λ=1.5|X=3) = p(x=3|λ=1.5)*L(λ=1.5) = 0.1255107*0.6 = 0.0753064

So, the posterior probability distribution for λ is:

P(λ=1|X=3) = 0.0245253

P(λ=1.5|X=3) = 0.0753064

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.

Related to Calculate Posterior p.f. from Poisson Distribution

What is the Poisson Distribution?

The Poisson Distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of times an event occurs in a specified time period or space. It is often used in situations where the events are independent and the average rate of occurrence is known.

What is a Posterior p.f.?

A Posterior p.f. (probability function) is a probability distribution that is updated with new information to calculate the probability of an event occurring after taking into account prior knowledge or data.

How do you calculate the Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution?

To calculate the Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution, you will need to use Bayes' Theorem. This involves multiplying the prior distribution (the Poisson Distribution in this case) by the likelihood function (which represents the new information) and then normalizing the result to get the Posterior p.f.

What information do you need to calculate the Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution?

To calculate the Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution, you will need to know the prior distribution (Poisson Distribution), the likelihood function (new information), and the normalization constant.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution?

The Posterior p.f. from the Poisson Distribution can be used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and epidemiology. For example, it can be used to estimate the number of sales a company can expect in a given time period, the number of bacteria in a sample, or the spread of a disease in a population.