Calculate PKA Velocity in 10keV Fe Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation for a collision cascade and the PKA velocity of a 10keV collision in iron. The speaker is unsure how the PhD researcher obtained a velocity of 262057.9 m/s and seeks assistance in understanding the process. It is also mentioned that the incident particle could be a neutron or an iron particle.
Aadrych
Hi,
I've been trying to understand a simulation for a collision cascade. The PhD that produced this code says that he is modelling a 10keV collision in Fe. From this he says that his PKA velocity is 2620.579 ang/ps or 262057.9 m/s and I'm wondering how did he get this?
I've assumed that the collision would transfer a maximum energy and I've assumed that it is an Fe-Fe collision since I don't know any other way of getting close to his value if I tried a Fe-n collision. So if anyone could help me figure this out please that would be really useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
10 keV and 262km/s lead to A=28, something like silicon. Iron at that energy would be slower.

What is your primary particle that collides with the material?

[QUOdoesn't say b, post: 5008341, member: 405866"]10 keV and 262km/s lead to A=28, something like silicon. Iron at that energy would be slower.

What is your primary particle that collides with the material?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't say what incident particle it is although I would assume a neutron. Although it could be an iron particle.

Related to Calculate PKA Velocity in 10keV Fe Collision

1. How is PKA velocity calculated in a 10keV Fe collision?

PKA velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity, E is the kinetic energy of the particle (PKA), and m is the mass of the particle. In this case, E = 10keV and m = the mass of the Fe particle. Plugging these values into the equation will give you the PKA velocity in meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the significance of calculating PKA velocity in a collision?

Calculating PKA velocity in a collision allows scientists to understand the energy transfer and damage caused by the collision. It can also provide information about the strength and stability of the materials involved in the collision.

3. Can PKA velocity be calculated in collisions with other elements besides Fe?

Yes, PKA velocity can be calculated in collisions with any element as long as the kinetic energy and mass of the particle (PKA) are known. The equation for calculating velocity remains the same, but the mass of the particle would change depending on the element involved in the collision.

4. How accurate is the calculation of PKA velocity in 10keV Fe collisions?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the values used for the kinetic energy and mass of the particle. These values can be measured experimentally or obtained from theoretical calculations. The accuracy can also be affected by other factors such as the conditions of the collision and any energy loss during the collision.

5. What other factors can affect PKA velocity in a 10keV Fe collision?

Aside from the kinetic energy and mass of the particle, factors such as the angle of collision, temperature, and the presence of other particles or materials can also affect PKA velocity. These factors can cause energy loss or transfer during the collision, resulting in a different velocity than what is calculated.