Calculate Outlet Velocity & Pressure - Physic Q

• Thread starter london_farhad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, a horizontal water pipe with a uniform concentric taper has a diameter that reduces from 400mm to 200mm. The water pressure at the inlet is 1bar (100kpa) and the velocity is 2 m/s. Using the law of continuity equation, the outlet velocity can be calculated. The final pressure at the outlet can also be determined by solving for it using the relevant equations. To post your work, type it in a new reply.
london_farhad
A horizontal water pipe contains a uniform concentric taper where the diameter reduced from 400mm to 200mm. the water pressure and the velocity at the inlet is 1bar or (100kpa) and 2 m/s respectively.
• Calculate the outlet velocity using the law of continuity equation and
• The final pressure at the outlet (in bar).

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to post your work.

rock.freak667 said:
You need to post your work.

How can I post my work. please

london_farhad said:
How can I post my work. please

Type it in a new reply.

A horizontal water pipe contains a uniform concentric taper where the diameter reduced from 400mm to 200mm. the water pressure and the velocity at the inlet is 1bar or (100kpa) and 2 m/s respectively.

london_farhad said:

Once again, you need to post your attempt at solving the problem. Start with the relevant equations.

Related to Calculate Outlet Velocity & Pressure - Physic Q

1. How do I calculate the outlet velocity?

To calculate the outlet velocity, you will need to know the mass flow rate and the cross-sectional area of the outlet. The formula for outlet velocity is v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the mass flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging in your values.

2. What is the formula for outlet pressure?

The formula for outlet pressure is P = ρgh + 0.5ρv², where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the outlet, and v is the outlet velocity. This formula takes into account the static pressure due to gravity as well as the dynamic pressure due to the velocity of the fluid.

3. How do I convert units for the calculations?

To convert units, you can use conversion factors or online unit converters. Make sure to keep track of your units and use consistent units throughout your calculations. Some common units for velocity and pressure are meters per second (m/s) and pascals (Pa) or kilopascals (kPa), respectively.

4. What is the significance of outlet velocity and pressure in physics?

Outlet velocity and pressure are important parameters in fluid dynamics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion. These parameters are used to analyze the flow of fluids in pipes, nozzles, and other systems, and can also be used to calculate forces and energy in fluid systems.

5. How do I apply these calculations in real-world scenarios?

Calculating outlet velocity and pressure can be useful in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as designing plumbing systems, analyzing the performance of pumps and turbines, and understanding the behavior of fluids in weather patterns. These calculations can also be applied in industrial settings, such as in the design and operation of chemical and oil refineries. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these calculations in order to accurately predict and control fluid systems in various applications.