Calculate N2/O2 ratio at 3255m

• Thread starter Wolfmannm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary: So you will need to use the ratio to figure out what the partial pressures of the two gases are at sea level before you can use the equations to find the partial pressures at 3255m above sea level.In summary, using Laplace's law of isothermal atmospheres and given the ratio of nitrogen to oxygen at sea level, the partial pressure of nitrogen and oxygen at 3255m above sea level can be calculated using the given equations, taking into account the molecular weights and other given variables.
Wolfmannm

Homework Statement

The ratio of nitrogen to oxygen at sea level is 4.0:1. Use Laplace's law of
isothermal atmospheres to calculate the same ratio for 3255m above sea level
Assume that T = 273 K

Homework Equations

[tex]P_fN2 = P_iN2 * e^-\Big({\frac{M_N2 g}{R T}}*h\Big)[/tex]
[tex]P_fO2 = P_iO2 * e^-\Big({\frac{M_O2g}{R T}}*h\Big)[/tex]

[tex]P_i = 1 atm[/tex]
[tex]h = 3255 meters [/tex]
[tex]M_N2 = 28 g/mol [/tex]
[tex]M_O2 = 32 g/mol [/tex]
T = 273K
[tex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/tex]
R = 8.314 J/mol K

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the numbers for both equations, but somehow that just makes my exponential go to 0 so I know that's not correct. I am wondering if I need to convert anything. I converted the initial pressure to Pa but that doesn't help me with an exponential of 0. For N2 I came up with approximately 393.52 for Mg/RT*h. e to -393.52 comes out zero on my calculator, I'm sure its not, because e to any power is never 0 but its too small for my calculator to read.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your molecular weights must be expressed in kg / mole, rather than grams / mole.

Also, since you are given the ratio of nitrogen : oxygen at sea level, then the partial pressure of each element will not be 1.0 atm. That's the pressure of the whole atmosphere at sea level.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Calculate N2/O2 ratio at 3255m

1. How do I calculate the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m?

To calculate the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m, you will need to know the partial pressure of nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2) at that altitude. This information can be obtained from a standard atmospheric table or by using the ideal gas law.

2. What is the significance of calculating the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m?

Calculating the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m can provide valuable information about the composition of the atmosphere at that specific altitude. This ratio is used to understand the distribution of gases in the atmosphere and their effects on atmospheric processes.

3. Can the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m vary?

Yes, the N2/O2 ratio can vary at different altitudes. This is due to the fact that the density and composition of the atmosphere change with altitude, and the ratio of N2 and O2 can be affected by various factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is the N2/O2 ratio related to other atmospheric gases?

The N2/O2 ratio is closely related to other atmospheric gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O). These gases can affect the overall composition and stability of the atmosphere, and their levels can be affected by changes in the N2/O2 ratio.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m?

Knowing the N2/O2 ratio at 3255m can have several practical applications. It can help in understanding the effects of atmospheric gases on climate change, air pollution, and weather patterns. This information is also important in fields such as aviation and meteorology.