Calculate Momentum & Impulse for Mass 0.25kg, Speed 15m/s

In summary, the question involves finding the net impulse and the average net force exerted on a ball of mass 0.25 Kg that is moving downward at a speed of 15 m/s and is brought to rest in 0.15 seconds. The net impulse is calculated by subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity, resulting in a value of 3.75 NS acting upwards. To find the average net force, the net impulse is divided by the time, giving a value of 25N.
Physicshelpneeded
This question kinda stumped me :frown: ...

Suppose that a ball of mass 0.25 Kg is moving downward at a speed of 15 m/s when it lands in your hand.
(a) If it takes .15 s to bring it to rest in your hand, what is the net impulse your hand exerts on the ball to bring it to rest? Give both size and direction

What i did for this problem was F = M (V<f> - V<i>) / Time
.......OR F = -25N (when u solve it like i did)
i was thinking if impulse is in units N.S or Kg m/s - then this stuff that i did is incorrect...is the equation I am using wrong? because i have different equations but this is the only one that encompasses all information given in the question.

part b asks: what is the average net force u exerted on the ball to stop it? Give both size and direction...for this i used F = m x a
........OR F = 3.75 N when i solved...
this seems to easy, did i do something wrong? or is it correct?

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) is poorly stated, in the sense that the impulse is independent of the time spent
(It is simply M(vf-vi))
(b) Assuming you did the correct algebra, the average F is 25N in the upwards direction (Simply, impulse divided with time)

arildno said:
(a) is poorly stated, in the sense that the impulse is independent of the time spent
(It is simply M(vf-vi))
(b) Assuming you did the correct algebra, the average F is 25N in the upwards direction (Simply, impulse divided with time)

I suspect it is something of a trick question, which is why it is stated that way. To test if the reader really knows what is meant by impulse. But in any case, your answer is the correct one.

Tyger said:
I suspect it is something of a trick question, which is why it is stated that way. To test if the reader really knows what is meant by impulse. But in any case, your answer is the correct one.

Might well be, Tyger.
However, this is the type of "trick questioning" that I dislike the most:
It does not necessarily measure what a person knows, but the confidence by which someone knows it

That is, breezily confident individuals will score high, whereas someone who at times doubt their own competence (which may be higher than the over-confident's) will be thrown in confusion, and enter a wrong answer, against their own, better judgment.
I.e, these types of questions borders on measuring personalities, rather than competence.

(It is simply M(vf-vi))

if this is true arildno...then my equation is fine as long as i take away the time right? does anyone else know how to do this or help?

(b) Assuming you did the correct algebra, the average F is 25N in the upwards direction (Simply, impulse divided with time

and how can the force be +25 N if the ball is traveling downward - therefore acceleration is -10 (gravity on earth) - therefore force should be proportional and also negative...right?

Last edited:
Physicshelpneeded said:
(It is simply M(vf-vi))

if this is true arildno...then my equation is fine as long as i take away the time right? does anyone else know how to do this or help?

(b) Assuming you did the correct algebra, the average F is 25N in the upwards direction (Simply, impulse divided with time

and how can the force be +25 N if the ball is traveling downward - therefore acceleration is -10 (gravity on earth) - therefore force should be proportional and also negative...right?
(a)Yes, as I said, the impulse is M(vf-vi)=M(0-vi)=-Mvi, that is, in the opposite direction than the initial velocity of the ball (i.e, upwards)
(b)Your hand exerts an upwards force on the ball.

ok, thanks a lot for ur help guys, but i still don't understand why time is given but cannot be used.

but maybe it IS a trick question and it is put there for that reason.

-Thanks again,
Arabian Knight (Sari)

The time is used in (b) and not in (a)

m(v - u)
F = ....
t

is how you figure out impulse
or Ft = mv - mu
so I'm not sure how f= mv-mu can be correct...

Physicshelpneeded said:
Suppose that a ball of mass 0.25 Kg is moving downward at a speed of 15 m/s when it lands in your hand.
(a) If it takes .15 s to bring it to rest in your hand, what is the net impulse your hand exerts on the ball to bring it to rest? Give both size and direction

I = MV-MU
I = 0-(0.25x15)
I = 3.75 NS acting upwards.
I = 3.75 = Force x time

I now presume it means the 'average force'. Net impulse is a pointless term when working in 2D here and they wouldn't give you the time for nothing.

3.75 = .15 x force.
3.75/.15 = Force
Average force exerted = 25N
Obviously the force is upwards, as it has stopped the downwards motion.

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Momentum & Impulse for Mass 0.25kg, Speed 15m/s

1. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. The formula is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What are the units for momentum?

The units for momentum are kg*m/s. This is because momentum is the product of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).

3. How do you calculate impulse?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the time it is applied. The formula is J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What are the units for impulse?

The units for impulse are N*s. This is because impulse is the product of force (N) and time (s).

5. How can you use the calculated momentum and impulse?

The calculated momentum can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of an object's motion. The calculated impulse can be used to determine the change in an object's momentum and the force required to produce that change.