Calculate Molarity/Mole Fraction of Acetone in 1.00 M Solution

However, for the mole fraction, the denominator should be the total moles of the solution, not just the moles of acetone. So the correct calculation would be 1 mol acetone / (1 mol acetone + 21.70 mol ethanol) = 0.0448 mol fraction acetone. In summary, the molarity of acetone in the solution is 1.00 mol/L and the mole fraction of acetone is 0.0448.
lha08

Homework Statement

Calculate the molarity and mole fraction of acetone in a 1.00 m solution of acetone, CH3COCH3 (d=0.788 g/mL) in ethanol, C2H5OH (d=0.789 g/mL). Assume that the volumes of acetone and ethanol add.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm doing the question correctly but here it goes:
1. I first assumed 1 kg of Ethanol, C2H5OH.
2. With this, I used the 1.00 m and found 1.00 mol of acetone. CH3COCH3.
3. With the 1.00 mol acetone i found the number of grams using the molar mass. (58.09 g acetone)
4. I used the density of acetone and found the volume of acetone (73.72 mL)
5. Since 1 kg ethanol is 1000 g ethanol, i found the volume also by using the density. (1.27L)
6. I added both volumes together in Liters (1.3437 L)
7. Found the Molarity (1.00 mol/1.3437 L) and the Mol Fraction (1 mol/(1 + 21.70 mol)

Is this right?? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method for molarity calculation is good.

for your help!

Your approach seems to be correct. However, there are a few things to note:

1. The molarity of the solution is actually 1.00 M, not 1.00 m. The lowercase "m" is used for molality, which is a different unit of concentration that takes into account the mass of the solvent. Molarity, on the other hand, is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution.

2. When calculating the volume of acetone, you should use the density of acetone (0.788 g/mL) and the mass of acetone (58.09 g), not the molar mass. This is because the molar mass is the mass of one mole of acetone, which is different from the mass of the amount of acetone in the solution (58.09 g).

3. Similarly, when calculating the volume of ethanol, you should use the density of ethanol (0.789 g/mL) and the mass of ethanol (1000 g), not the molar mass. This is because the molar mass is the mass of one mole of ethanol, which is different from the mass of the amount of ethanol in the solution (1000 g).

4. When calculating the mole fraction, you should use the moles of acetone (1.00 mol) and the total moles of solute (1.00 mol + 21.70 mol), not the moles of acetone and the total volume of solution.

So the correct calculations would be:

1. Mass of acetone = 1.00 mol x 58.09 g/mol = 58.09 g

2. Volume of acetone = 58.09 g / 0.788 g/mL = 73.64 mL

3. Volume of ethanol = 1000 g / 0.789 g/mL = 1269 mL = 1.269 L

4. Total volume of solution = 73.64 mL + 1.269 L = 1.342 L

5. Molarity of acetone = 1.00 mol / 1.342 L = 0.745 M

6. Mole fraction of acetone = 1.00 mol / (1.00 mol + 21.70 mol) = 0.0448

So the molarity of acetone in the solution is 0.745 M

Related to Calculate Molarity/Mole Fraction of Acetone in 1.00 M Solution

1. What is the formula for calculating molarity/mole fraction?

The formula for calculating molarity is: Molarity = moles of solute / liters of solution. The formula for calculating mole fraction is: Mole fraction = moles of solute / total moles of solution.

2. How do I find the moles of solute in a solution?

You can find the moles of solute by using the molarity and volume of the solution. Multiply the molarity by the volume in liters to get the moles of solute.

3. How do I calculate the mole fraction of a specific solute in a solution?

To calculate the mole fraction of a specific solute, divide the moles of that solute by the total moles of the solution. This will give you the mole fraction of that solute in the solution.

4. What is the difference between molarity and mole fraction?

Molarity is the measure of concentration of a solution in moles per liter, while mole fraction is the ratio of moles of a specific solute to the total moles of the solution. Mole fraction takes into account all the components of the solution, while molarity only considers the solute.

5. Can I use the same formula for calculating molarity and mole fraction for all solutions?

Yes, the formula for calculating molarity and mole fraction is the same for all solutions. However, the values for molarity and mole fraction will differ depending on the specific solute and solution being used.