Calculate Magnitude of Gravitational Force on One Sphere

In summary: Good job fixing your mistake!In summary, the problem involves four spheres placed at the corners of a square and the task is to calculate the total gravitational force exerted on one sphere by the other three. Using the equation F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2, the x and y components of the force for each sphere are calculated, with a total value of 3.13e-8 when the correct distance between the two diagonally opposite masses is used.
sugarntwiligh

Homework Statement

Four 9.5 kg spheres are located at the corners of a square of side 0.60 m. Calculate the magnitude of the total gravitational force exerted on one sphere by the other three.

Homework Equations

F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #2)/r^2
F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #3)/r^2
F=G(mass of #1)(mass of #2)/r^2
For #3 take Fsin(45)=x value
For #3 x value=y value

x and y components added
F=squareroot(x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

r=0.6m
m=9.5kg
F#2x=1.625e-8
F#2y=0
F#3x=0
F#3y=-1.672e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8
FTotal= 4.037e-8

Correct answer in book for FTotal: 3.2e-8

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got

F#2x=1.625e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8

RE:
Can you show how you got

F#2x=1.625e-8
F#4x=1.182e-8
F#4y=-1.182e-8

Begin Reply:
F#2x=(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)
=1.672e-8
Which was a typo, thanks for pointing that out.
F=#4x=[(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)]sin(45)=
=1.182e-8
F=#4y=[(G)(9.5)(9.5)/(0.6^2)]cos(45)=
=1.182e-8

The distance between the two masses diagonally across from each other will NOT be 0.6 m. 0.6 m is the length of the sides of the square.

Wow thank you so much! I can't believe I missed that. I plugged in my values again and I got 3.13e-8, which I attribute to rounding. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Related to Calculate Magnitude of Gravitational Force on One Sphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force on one sphere?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of gravitational force on one sphere is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the magnitude of the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How do you determine the gravitational constant (G) in the equation?

The gravitational constant (G) is a universal constant that is determined through experiments and observations. Currently, the accepted value of G is 6.67408 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2. It is used to convert the masses and distances in the equation into a force.

3. Can the magnitude of gravitational force be negative?

No, the magnitude of gravitational force cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the strength of the attractive force between two objects.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the magnitude of gravitational force?

The magnitude of gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between two objects is doubled, the force will decrease by a factor of four.

5. Can the magnitude of gravitational force be greater than the masses of the two objects?

Yes, the magnitude of gravitational force can be greater than the masses of the two objects. This is because the force is affected not only by the masses, but also by the distance between the objects. Therefore, even if the masses are small, if the distance between them is very small, the force can still be significant.