Calculate Magnetic Field of Moving Magnetic Dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field or flux of a moving magnetic dipole with magnetic dipole moment \vec{M}. It suggests using the formula for magnetic field of a magnetic dipole and applying a Lorentz transformation to the field. The resulting formula is shown and the person asks if their calculations are correct. They also mention that there may be another way to calculate the field without using Lorentz transformation. Finally, the question asks about the opposing force on a moving magnetic dipole when a conducting loop is placed in front of it.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Does anyone know how to calculate the magnetic field or flux of a uniformly moving magnetic dipole with magnetic dipole moment [itex] \vec{M} [/itex] pointing along the direction of motion?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the contribution from its motion is relevant, I think I would calculate it in its rest frame, and apply a Lorentz transformation on this field.

Here's the formula for the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole:
[itex]
\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} [\frac{ 3\hat{r}(\hat{r}\cdot\vec{M})-\vec{M} }{ r^3 }]
[/itex]
And the Lorentz transformation of the magnetic field(in the absence of an electric field) is:
[itex]
\vec{B}'=\gamma\vec{B}-\frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma+1}\vec{\beta}(\vec{\beta}\cdot\vec{B})
[/itex]
Now putting [itex] \vec{M}=M\hat{x} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{\beta}=\beta\hat{x} [/itex],I got the following:
[itex]
\vec{B}'=\frac{\mu_0 m \gamma}{4\pi r^4}[3x\hat{r}-r\hat{x}+\frac{\gamma \beta \hat{x}}{\gamma+1}(\frac{3x^2}{r}-r)]
[/itex]
Is everything OK with my calculations?
And one other thing...I'm going to show this result to some people who are not aware of the Lorentz transformation of the electromagnetic field.Also the question is from somewhere which makes me almost sure that there should be another way other than using the Lorentz transformation for the field.But I can remember no other way!
So maybe the motion doesn't matter!
The question is asking that if one places a conducting circular loop in front of such a moving magnetic dipole,perpendicular to its direction of motion,what will be the force opposing the motion of the dipole?

Related to Calculate Magnetic Field of Moving Magnetic Dipole

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a moving magnetic dipole?

The magnetic field of a moving magnetic dipole can be calculated using the equation B = (μ₀/4π) * [(3r̂(ṁ · r̂) - ṁ)/r³], where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability constant, r̂ is the unit vector in the direction of the observation point, ṁ is the dipole moment, and r is the distance from the observation point to the dipole.

2. What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a magnetic object or system that has two poles (north and south) and produces a magnetic field. It can be created by a current-carrying loop or by a spinning charged particle.

3. How does the magnetic field change as a magnetic dipole moves?

The magnetic field of a moving magnetic dipole changes both in strength and direction. As the dipole moves, the magnetic field lines rotate and spread out, becoming weaker as the distance from the dipole increases.

4. Can a magnetic dipole have a constant magnetic field?

No, a magnetic dipole cannot have a constant magnetic field. As it moves, the magnetic field changes in strength and direction. Only a stationary dipole can have a constant magnetic field.

5. How can the magnetic field of a moving magnetic dipole be used in practical applications?

The magnetic field of a moving magnetic dipole has a variety of practical applications. It is used in particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors, among other technologies. It also plays a crucial role in Earth's magnetic field and its interaction with the solar wind.