Calculate Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen Spectral Intervals

In summary, to calculate the spectral interval for the Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series of the H-atom, excluding their continuous parts, you can use the Balmer's formula for H. For the Lyman series, the transition from n = 2 to n = 1 corresponds to λmax, and the transition from n = ∞ to n = 1 corresponds to λmin. The same applies for the other series. The provided equation can be used in this case.
b0094

Homework Statement

Calculate the spectral interval (λmax, λmin, and Δλ) in which all the lines of the Lyman, Balmer, and Pashcen series (excluding their continuous parts) of the H-atom are found.

Homework Equations

Here is where I am confused.. do I use the Balmer's formula for H?

frequency = [1/4 - 1/n^2] * 3.29*10^(15)s^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is.. I don't know what energy levels these series correspond to? Is this something I am just supposed to memorize??

Physics news on Phys.org

For Lyman series, transition from n = 2 to n = 1 for λmax and n= ∞ to n = 1 for λmin.
Similarly for the other series.

Is the equation I provided correct in this case??

Related to Calculate Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen Spectral Intervals

1. What are Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals?

Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals are specific energy levels within an atom's electron configuration. They are named after the scientists who discovered them and represent the different series of spectral lines in the hydrogen atom.

2. How are Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals calculated?

The Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals are calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is based on the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. The formula takes into account the atomic number, the energy level, and the wavelength of the spectral line.

3. What is the significance of the Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals?

The Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals are important because they help to explain the atomic structure of elements. They also allow scientists to predict and analyze the spectral lines of different elements, providing valuable information about their properties and behavior.

4. How do the Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals relate to each other?

The Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum, with Lyman being the shortest wavelength and Paschen being the longest. They are also related by the Rydberg formula, which shows how the energy levels are connected and how they emit different wavelengths of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals?

The Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen spectral intervals have many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They are used to analyze the composition of stars, identify unknown elements, and study the behavior of atoms and molecules. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics.