Calculate length of side of cube

In summary, to calculate the length (L) of each side of a cubic simulation box with 500 molecules in Ångstrøm when given a molar volume of V1 = 0.6 l/mol, you need to first calculate how many moles will be in the cube (8.3e-22 moles). Then, multiply this number by 0.6 Liters/mol to get the volume of the cube in Liters. Divide by 1000 to get the volume in m^3. The length of a side of the cube can be found by taking the cube root of the volume (l = ∛V). Finally, convert the length from meters to Ångstrøm.
Omsin
How can I calculate the length L of each side of a cubic simulation box with 500 molecules (in Ångstrøm) when I want molar volumes of V1 = 0.6 l/mol?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many molecules in 1 mol? What fraction of 1 mol is 500molecules? That gives you the volume of the cube in l.
V=l2 will give you the length of a side of the cube.
All you need to do is the Arithmetic -get the units right, of course,

1 mole is 6.002e+23 molecules. 500 molecules have 8.3e-22 moles. I am not really sure what you meant after that. Volume = (liter)^2? Isn't Volume[m^3] = [1000* Liter]

Omsin said:
1 mole is 6.002e+23 molecules. 500 molecules have 8.3e-22 moles. I am not really sure what you meant after that. Volume = (liter)^2? Isn't Volume[m^3] = [1000* Liter]
My bad. Of course volume is cubed. But the sums are easy, no?

sophiecentaur said:
My bad. Of course volume is cubed. But the sums are easy, no?
Sorry, but I am not really sure how to do this.

You have already calculated how many moles will be in your cube (8.3e-22 moles as you previously said).

You want molar volume of 0.6 Liters/mol, so if you multiply this number with the moles, you will get the volume of the cube (V) in Liters. Then you can divide by one thousand to get the Volume in m3.

So, your cube's side will have length ## l = \sqrt[3] V ## meters.

The last step is to change meters to Angstroms.

Omsin said:
Sorry, but I am not really sure how to do this.
Sorry. I was busy and couldn't get back to you quickly. But @DoItForYourself has sorted you out I think.

Likes DoItForYourself

Related to Calculate length of side of cube

1. How do you calculate the length of a side of a cube?

To calculate the length of a side of a cube, you can use the formula L = V^(1/3), where L is the length of a side and V is the volume of the cube. This formula is based on the fact that all sides of a cube are equal, and the volume of a cube is found by multiplying the length, width, and height together.

2. What is the relationship between the length of a side and the volume of a cube?

The length of a side and the volume of a cube are directly proportional. This means that if you increase the length of a side, the volume will also increase, and if you decrease the length of a side, the volume will decrease as well.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of a side of a cube?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to calculate the length of a side in a right triangle, where the length of one side is unknown. In a cube, all sides are equal, so the Pythagorean theorem is not applicable.

4. How can you use the length of a side to find the surface area of a cube?

The surface area of a cube can be found by using the formula SA = 6s^2, where SA is the surface area and s is the length of a side. This formula is based on the fact that a cube has 6 equal sides and the surface area is found by adding the areas of all 6 sides together.

5. Is there a way to calculate the length of a side if the surface area of a cube is known?

Yes, the length of a side can be found by using the formula s = √(SA/6), where s is the length of a side and SA is the surface area of the cube. This formula is derived from the surface area formula and can be used to find the length of a side if the surface area is known.