Calculate KE of Projectile after Passing through Object.

• Thread starter PotatoSmasher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: However, it may not be a very accurate calculation due to the many variables involved such as the shape of the bullet and the specific properties of the material. The best way to determine the kinetic energy lost would be to conduct experiments and record the results. In summary, it is possible to calculate the kinetic energy lost from a projectile passing through a material, but the most accurate method would be through experimentation.
PotatoSmasher
Hi I am new to the forums and currently studying year 12 physics. I was wondering is it possible to calculate the Kinetic Energy lost from a projectile, say a bullet, after passing through an object, say a piece of steel. I know the weight of the bullet (41.9g) and it's initial KE (17,820J). I also know the density of the steel (7.85 g/cc) and its thickness (5mm).

Note please this isn't a homework question, it's just for my own curiosity and expansion of my own knowledge. Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

HI PotatoSmasher! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No, there's too many variables …

it depends on the shape of the bullet, amongst other things …

if you were in CSI, you'd find the answer by actually firing bullets at a sample of the metal

that's really the only way :wink:

PotatoSmasher said:
Hi I am new to the forums and currently studying year 12 physics. I was wondering is it possible to calculate the Kinetic Energy lost from a projectile, say a bullet, after passing through an object, say a piece of steel. I know the weight of the bullet (41.9g) and it's initial KE (17,820J). I also know the density of the steel (7.85 g/cc) and its thickness (5mm).

Note please this isn't a homework question, it's just for my own curiosity and expansion of my own knowledge. Many thanks :)

All you need to do is measure the velocity of the projectile after it passes through the material and get its mass after you measure the velocity. Then it is Ek=1/2 MxV^2.
Paul

Hello and welcome to the forums! It is definitely possible to calculate the Kinetic Energy (KE) lost from a projectile after passing through an object. In order to do so, we need to use the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

In this case, the initial KE of the bullet before hitting the steel object can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the bullet and v is its initial velocity. From the information provided, we can calculate the initial KE of the bullet to be 17,820J.

After the bullet passes through the steel object, some of its KE will be transferred to the object in the form of heat and sound energy. The amount of KE lost can be calculated by subtracting the final KE of the bullet from its initial KE. The final KE of the bullet can be calculated using the same formula, but with the final velocity of the bullet (which will be lower due to the resistance of the steel object).

To calculate the final velocity of the bullet, we need to consider the energy lost due to the bullet's deformation and the energy required to penetrate the steel. This can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the bullet was deformed. This energy will be subtracted from the initial KE of the bullet to get the final KE.

Once we have the final KE, we can use the same formula to calculate the final velocity of the bullet. From there, we can calculate the KE lost by subtracting the final KE from the initial KE.

I hope this helps and satisfies your curiosity. Keep up the good work in your physics studies!

Related to Calculate KE of Projectile after Passing through Object.

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a projectile after passing through an object?

To calculate the kinetic energy of a projectile after passing through an object, you can use the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the projectile, and v is the velocity of the projectile. Make sure to use the units of measurement consistent with the values you are using.

2. Can you provide an example of calculating the kinetic energy of a projectile after passing through an object?

Yes, for example, if a projectile with a mass of 0.5 kg and a velocity of 10 m/s passes through an object, the kinetic energy after passing through would be calculated as follows: KE = 1/2 * 0.5 kg * (10 m/s)^2 = 25 J.

3. Does the type of object the projectile passes through affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the type of object the projectile passes through can affect its kinetic energy. Objects with higher density or hardness may cause the projectile to lose more of its kinetic energy upon impact, resulting in a lower final kinetic energy after passing through.

4. How does the mass of the projectile affect its kinetic energy after passing through an object?

The mass of the projectile has a direct effect on its kinetic energy after passing through an object. The greater the mass of the projectile, the higher its kinetic energy will be after passing through the object, assuming the velocity remains constant.

5. Is there a limit to the kinetic energy a projectile can have after passing through an object?

Technically, there is no limit to the kinetic energy a projectile can have after passing through an object. However, the maximum kinetic energy it can have is equal to its initial kinetic energy before passing through the object, assuming no external forces act on the projectile during and after passing through the object.