Calculate K X-ray photon energy of osmium using Bohr model | K Alpha Energy Q1

• Thread starter StudentofPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha Energy
In summary, the energy of a K X-ray photon in osmium can be calculated using the formula En = -(13.6) Z^2/n^2, where Z is the atomic number of osmium. However, to get the correct answer, one must subtract one from Z before squaring and convert to joules. The "wave number" formula is a consequence of the energy level formula and is not the fastest way to calculate the energy of a K X-ray photon.
StudentofPhysics
1. The atomic number of osmium is Z = 76. According to the Bohr model, what is the energy (in joules) of a K X-ray photon?

2. ?

3. The reason I left relavent eqns blank is because I used the following:
En = -(13.6) Z^2/n^2
subtracting one from Z before squaring and converting to joules gave me an incorrect answer of En = 1.226 x 10^-14 J.

I do not believe I am using the right equation but it is the only one my book offers for this.

Please help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok I found it by going through the wavelength.

Is that the fastest way?

The "wave number" formula is a consequence of the formula giving the enrgy levels. So i'd say "no".

Related to Calculate K X-ray photon energy of osmium using Bohr model | K Alpha Energy Q1

1. What is K Alpha energy?

K Alpha energy is a term used in X-ray spectroscopy to describe the energy of an emitted X-ray photon when an electron transitions from the K-shell to the L-shell. It is unique to each element and can be used to identify the element present in a sample.

2. How is K Alpha energy measured?

K Alpha energy is typically measured using a technique called X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectroscopy. This involves bombarding a sample with high-energy X-rays, causing the electrons in the sample to jump to higher energy levels. When the electrons fall back to their original energy levels, they emit photons with specific energies, including the K Alpha energy.

3. What factors affect K Alpha energy?

The K Alpha energy of an element is primarily determined by the atomic number of the element, as well as the electron binding energy of the K-shell. Other factors that can affect K Alpha energy include the chemical environment of the atom, the energy of the incident X-rays, and the method used to measure the energy.

4. Why is K Alpha energy important in X-ray spectroscopy?

K Alpha energy is important in X-ray spectroscopy because it can be used to identify the elements present in a sample. Each element has a unique K Alpha energy, allowing scientists to determine the composition of a sample. Additionally, changes in K Alpha energy can provide information about the chemical and physical properties of the sample.

5. How does K Alpha energy relate to other X-ray energies?

K Alpha energy is one of several characteristic X-ray energies emitted by elements. Other X-ray energies include K Beta, L Alpha, and L Beta energies. These energies are determined by different electron transitions within the atom, and together they make up the X-ray spectrum that can be used to identify elements in a sample.