Polarized Filters: The Surprising Effect of Red Light on Highway Headlights

• Thread starter Farn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of red light passing through two polarized filters when they are aligned to block out all light. This is explained by the frequency-dependent nature of polarizers, with smaller spacing allowing higher frequency light to interact. The conversation also touches on the idea of using multiple polarizers to allow light to pass through again.
Farn
I was playing around with two polarized filters the other day. I was actually on the highway at the time. Something that I noticed when I had them aligned to block out all light, the only light that seemd to make it through was red. It was pretty cool looking to look at all the oncoming car's headlights (which we should know are white) and only seeing little red dots.

I would imagine this is a result of where red stands on the spectrum. This was actually surprising to me, because I was unaware that the frequancy of light had any impact on polarized filters. Plus even if it does, I would have thought the higher frequencies would be the ones able to penetrate.

So anyway, question is why red?

Science news on Phys.org
With the two polarizers I have - I can only see blue through them.

Two good linearly polarized discs will let through precisely ZERO light when oriented at right angles to each other.

Your polarised filters are dodgy?

Russ: Unless if there is another polarised disc in between out of alignment with the two.

A polarizer's effect on light is certainly frequency-dependent. After all, it's just a material made with a lot of closely-spaced lines. The spacing determines the interaction with light. The smaller the spacing, the higher the frequency of light that will interact with it.

There's no way that two perpindicular polarizers can admit ZERO light -- are you telling me that I can't transmit radio waves or blast some gamma rays through two sets of Ray-Bans? The polarization characteristics of realistic polarizing material is frequency-dependent.

- Warren

And also, couldn't you just add an extra polarized filter such that the outside filters are oriented the same, perpendicular to the middle filter and then allowing the light to once again pass through?

1. What is the purpose of a polarized filter?

Polarized filters are used to block out certain wavelengths of light, allowing only specific polarizations to pass through. This can help reduce glare and improve visibility in certain situations.

2. How does a polarized filter affect highway headlights?

The surprising effect of red light on highway headlights is that it can make them appear dimmer and less visible. This is because polarized filters block out certain polarizations of light, which can make the red light from the headlights less intense.

3. Why is red light specifically affected by polarized filters?

Red light has a longer wavelength than other colors, which makes it more easily affected by polarized filters. This is why red headlights can appear dimmer when viewed through a polarized filter.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using polarized filters on highway headlights?

While polarized filters can make headlights appear dimmer, they do not affect the actual intensity of the light. This means that they do not pose any safety concerns and can actually reduce glare and improve visibility for drivers.

5. Are there any other surprising effects of using polarized filters on headlights?

In addition to making red headlights appear dimmer, polarized filters can also affect the appearance of other colors. For example, white headlights may appear bluer or yellower when viewed through a polarized filter. This is due to the filter blocking out certain polarizations of light, altering the color perception.