Calculate Initial Velocity of Object Thrown Vertically

In summary, the object has a height of 30.0 m and is affected by gravity with a value of 9.81m/s. To find its initial velocity, you can use the equation for conservation of energy or the kinematic equation for objects in motion with constant acceleration. At the highest point of 30.0 m, the velocity is 0.
Brittykitty
An object is thrown vertically into the air and reaches a height of 30.0 m. Neglecting air friction, what was the object’s initial velocity?

What would the equation be for this question?

I know that:

Height: 30.0m
Gravity: 9.81m/s

I'm not quite sure what else I need to figure this out? thank! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a trick question where its 0m/s?

The easiest way would be to use conservation of energy:
E = 1/2mv^2+mgh
Alternatively, you could use the equation of motion for the object. You know it has a constant acceleration g downwards.

Thank you! so would it look something like this:

E=1/2 (230kg)(0.02ms) ^2 + (230kg)(9.81m/s)(32m)

0.092 + 77201.6 = 77201 ?

oops i mean

5.43 + 72201.6 = 72207.03

The power behind conservation of energy is that you can use the equation for E at any point in the objects trajectory and you will always get the same answer.
You haven't been given the mass of the object, but the answer will be independent of the objects mass anyway.

You have two special points in the objects trajectory which are important to your question. Which are those and what is the expression for the energy at those points?

gravity, height and time?

I think using Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad would be better..Since the highest point is 30 that means at that point v equals 0.

Related to Calculate Initial Velocity of Object Thrown Vertically

1. What is the formula for calculating initial velocity of an object thrown vertically?

The formula for calculating initial velocity of an object thrown vertically is v = √(gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the object is thrown.

2. How do you determine the acceleration due to gravity for calculating initial velocity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth. It can be determined using experiments or can be looked up in a reference table.

3. Can initial velocity be negative when calculating the velocity of an object thrown vertically?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. If the object is thrown downwards, the initial velocity will be negative as it is moving in the opposite direction of the positive y-axis.

4. Is the initial velocity the same as the final velocity when an object is thrown vertically?

No, the initial velocity and final velocity are not the same when an object is thrown vertically. The initial velocity is the velocity at the beginning of motion, while the final velocity is the velocity at the end of motion.

5. How does air resistance affect the calculation of initial velocity for an object thrown vertically?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of initial velocity for an object thrown vertically by slowing down the object's acceleration due to gravity. This can result in a lower initial velocity compared to the calculated value without air resistance.